Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 100% Cpu usage IS ****ING ME OFF :(

100% Cpu usage IS ****ING ME OFF :(

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:35:57 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
> wrote in
> news:1sOwg.164920$(E-Mail Removed)
> t:
>
>> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
>>> wrote in
>>> news:60Lwg.164271$(E-Mail Removed).
>>> net
>>> :

>>> I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
>>> Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to
>>> tweak how rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of
>>> a competing process of equal or higher perceived
>>> importance to the user.
>>>
>>> In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I
>>> have little interest in visiting pages that would require
>>> me to turn it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not
>>> actively using Firefox--when I'm using something else like
>>> Eudora or Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can
>>> legimately use available processor time up to 100-pct when
>>> they're doing their database management tasks.)
>>>
>>> When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager
>>> to see what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's
>>> painless for me to kill the process because the program is
>>> open just to enhance its availability. Going back to the
>>> same page, everything drops back down to less than 3- to
>>> 5-pct.
>>>
>>> But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular
>>> that is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in
>>> my FF useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully
>>> patched and protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD,
>>> adaware, spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
>>>
>>> Flatus

>> Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox
>> DOING when its using the cpu? Did you go to a url?
>>

> It's certainly not _doing_ _anything_ that I would expect to
> cause an exceptionally high long-duration demands on the CPU.
> Indeed, Firefox might well be minimizaed in what I would expect
> to be, a passive state waiting to be called upon to do something
> meaningful.
>
> Thinking about it, it could well be related to one of my
> extensions that's executing a background task. Is there a
> practical way of seeing which firefox processes are using what
> system resources?
>
> Flatus

Cant you tell me in plain english what you have Firefox DOING when you
notice the high Cpu usage?

Did you just go to a website? Do a search? Or was it running in the
background and you were using another program? WHAT was Firefox doing at
the point in time it was using 100% cpu?

Home Theatre Guy

Last time i was just watchign some TV via my tuner card and all of a
sudden it just stoped, the TV that is

I though it was the tuner card software but nope. Firefox decidied it
need 100% of my CPU time so it kinds of Screws HD virewing on my tuner
card big time. After alot of screwing arround i was final able to
close Firefox and everything went back to normal

Was nto browesing at the time just watch some TV while Firefox was as
far as i know idle in the background.

Though it happens when browesing as well.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:10:22 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
Guy> wrote:

>I do know i'am using Firefox.
>
>It just seems to happen randomly when iam browesing. Ill try to see if
>its any Particular URLS that is causing it. But hard to do when it
>just happens and your not taking any notice. Ill try
>
>I think it also happens when i leave the browser and do other things,
>like watch a Divx Movie or some tv on my tuner card. But it does not
>happen right away always after some time has past.
>
>Thanks.
>

>On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:05:12 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
>Guy> wrote:
>

>>I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
>>not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
>>come up
>>

>>On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:03:59 -0400, DTDoyle <""dtdoyle\"@NO SPAM.net">
>>wrote:

>>> Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
>>>I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
>>>newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
>>>files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
>>>link, it might help

gwtc

DTDoyle > wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Home Theatre Guy wrote:
>>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>>>

>>> Is this a know bug ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>>>
>>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
>>
>> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04...leak-progress/
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
>>

> Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
> I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
> newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
> files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
> link, it might help
>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

no, he's not using TB because he said he'll go back to IE

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
furniture dealer.

John Thompson

On 2006-07-23, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:

> Why is it doing this.

What do you mean? Don't you want your cpu to be used? Unless it's
causing a performance problem, why worry about it?

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Home Theatre Guy wrote:

> Last time i was just watchign some TV via my tuner card and all of a
> sudden it just stoped, the TV that is
>
> I though it was the tuner card software but nope. Firefox decidied it
> need 100% of my CPU time so it kinds of Screws HD virewing on my tuner
> card big time. After alot of screwing arround i was final able to
> close Firefox and everything went back to normal
>
> Was nto browesing at the time just watch some TV while Firefox was as
> far as i know idle in the background.
>
> Though it happens when browesing as well.
>

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:10:22 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
> Guy> wrote:
>

>> I do know i'am using Firefox.
>>
>> It just seems to happen randomly when iam browesing. Ill try to see if
>> its any Particular URLS that is causing it. But hard to do when it
>> just happens and your not taking any notice. Ill try
>>
>> I think it also happens when i leave the browser and do other things,
>> like watch a Divx Movie or some tv on my tuner card. But it does not
>> happen right away always after some time has past.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:05:12 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
>> Guy> wrote:
>>

>>> I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
>>> not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
>>> come up

A browser is seldom 'idle' - if the page has a meta refresh, then at
specific intervals it would have to be downloaded again. And when that
happens, well, Firefox asks for all the cpu time the system will give
it, the faster to serve you.

If you were watching TV, why didnt you quit or minimize Firefox? Or go
to a site that doesnt have a meta refresh. Here's an idea for you, set
up a bookmark that goes to a blanks page, as home even. Then when you
want to do something else, one click, and Firefox WONT be asking for cpu
time, because there is nothing for it to do! (staring at a blank page)

Home Theatre Guy

Because when its at 100% i cant do ****. PC is totaly useless ?????

You like useless pcs ?????

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:05:35 GMT, John Thompson
<(E-Mail Removed)2.dhs.org> wrote:

>On 2006-07-23, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:
>
>> Why is it doing this.

>What do you mean? Don't you want your cpu to be used? Unless it's
>causing a performance problem, why worry about it?

TheCroW

> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>

> Is this a know bug ?
>
> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>
> Thanks.

Did some checking on my FF (version 1.5.0.4) and can not replicate that 100%
use here. Ofcourse there are spikes towards 100% when scroling through pages
or heave demanding Flash sites. Also not using that much add ons ... I use
Adblock and Forecastfox (weather) and have only one skin besides the default
FF skin/theme.
Only heavy usage of FF is when I have a lot of tabs open. Then sometimes FF
freezes and have to do a Ctrl/Alt/Del to close FF.

Maybe some more info? What kind of CPU do you have, memory, add ons and how
much usage does it show when you start FF the first time?

--
Menno
=====================

John Thompson

On 2006-07-24, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:

>>On 2006-07-23, Home Theatre Guy <Home> wrote:
>>
>>> Why is it doing this.

>>What do you mean? Don't you want your cpu to be used? Unless it's
>>causing a performance problem, why worry about it?

> Because when its at 100% i cant do ****. PC is totaly useless ?????
>

> You like useless pcs ?????

Ah. So it *IS* causing a performance problem. That wasn't clear in your
original post.

Try starting firefox in "safe mode" and see if it happens there:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode

If it doesn't happen, the problem is probably one of your
installed extensions. Disable them all, and restart them one by one
until you find the culprit.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))

Home Theatre Guy

When i get the 100% usage i can't even use Control,Alt,Del. Well it
works but comes up in about five minutes and then i can'ty click ****
becuase i have and hourglass as pointer.

I think i have an Explanation though. I have a program called
admuncher it munches ads. I think hats what causeing the problem. Ive
turned it off as an experiment and if all gos well it must be the
problem. Sad realy its he best ad muncher i have ever used gets
EVERYTHIng and i do mean everything.

Thanks for the help.

Xp2400 at 1.8 ghz and 1 gig of pc3200 ram.

Extensions. Talkback 1.5.0.4
Tabmixplus 0.3.0.5
Colorful Tabs 1.4

That's it

Thanks.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 18:41:05 +0200, "TheCroW" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>>

>> Is this a know bug ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>>
>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>Did some checking on my FF (version 1.5.0.4) and can not replicate that 100%
>use here. Ofcourse there are spikes towards 100% when scroling through pages
>or heave demanding Flash sites. Also not using that much add ons ... I use
>Adblock and Forecastfox (weather) and have only one skin besides the default
>FF skin/theme.
>Only heavy usage of FF is when I have a lot of tabs open. Then sometimes FF
>freezes and have to do a Ctrl/Alt/Del to close FF.
>
>Maybe some more info? What kind of CPU do you have, memory, add ons and how
>much usage does it show when you start FF the first time?

Troy Piggins

* Home Theatre Guy wrote:
> When i get the 100% usage i can't even use Control,Alt,Del. Well it
> works but comes up in about five minutes and then i can'ty click ****
> becuase i have and hourglass as pointer.

> I think i have an Explanation though. I have a program called
> admuncher it munches ads. I think hats what causeing the problem. Ive
> turned it off as an experiment and if all gos well it must be the
> problem. Sad realy its he best ad muncher i have ever used gets
> EVERYTHIng and i do mean everything.

If it is indeed admuncher causing your problems, uninstall it and use
the FF plugin 'adblock plus' together with 'adblock filterset G
updater'. Performance is fine.

--
Troy Piggins : "Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."
,-o