Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > 100% Cpu usage IS ****ING ME OFF :(

100% Cpu usage IS ****ING ME OFF :(

Home Theatre Guy

Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot

Is this a know bug ?

Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Thanks.

Flatus Ohlfahrt

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a
> cold reboot

When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox process
using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it happening,
too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is beyond my
expertise.)

Flatus

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a
>> cold reboot
>>

> When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox process
> using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it happening,
> too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is beyond my
> expertise.)
>
> Flatus

How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it used 50% and
took twice as long to display a page? Using 100% is the most efficient
use of the processor, if it was only using 75% those other 25% of cycles
are wasted, gone, never recovered.

A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most of the time.
i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its not doing anything at all
for the rest of the time.

If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100% cpu usage we
might be able to explain it better. On some pages, especially those with
flash animation, cpu usage is quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.

Flatus Ohlfahrt

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
wrote in
news:60Lwg.164271$(E-Mail Removed)
:

> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote
>> in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do
>>> a cold reboot
>>>

>> When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox
>> process using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it
>> happening, too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is
>> beyond my expertise.)
>>
>> Flatus

> How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
> used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
> 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it was
> only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted, gone,
> never recovered.
>
> A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most
> of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its
> not doing anything at all for the rest of the time.
>
> If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100%
> cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On some
> pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu usage is
> quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.

I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to tweak how
rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of a competing
process of equal or higher perceived importance to the user.

In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I have
little interest in visiting pages that would require me to turn
it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not actively using
Firefox--when I'm using something else like Eudora or
Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can legimately use available
processor time up to 100-pct when they're doing their database
management tasks.)

When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager to see
what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's painless for
me to kill the process because the program is open just to
enhance its availability. Going back to the same page,
everything drops back down to less than 3- to 5-pct.

But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular that
is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in my FF
useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully patched and
protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD, adaware,
spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.

Flatus

gwtc

Home Theatre Guy wrote:

> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>

> Is this a know bug ?
>
> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>
> Thanks.

Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:

http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04...leak-progress/
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>

So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
furniture dealer.

DTDoyle

gwtc wrote:
> Home Theatre Guy wrote:
>>
>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>>

>> Is this a know bug ?
>>
>> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>>
>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
>
> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04...leak-progress/
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828

Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
link, it might help

> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Mozilla Champion (Dan)

Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
> wrote in
> news:60Lwg.164271$(E-Mail Removed)
> :
>
>> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:12:06 GMT, Home Theatre Guy wrote
>>> in news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> When it does happen, why not just turn of the firefox
>>> process using task manager? Works for me. (I've noticed it
>>> happening, too. But troubleshooting what's causing it is
>>> beyond my expertise.)
>>>
>>> Flatus

>> How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
>> used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
>> 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it was
>> only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted, gone,
>> never recovered.
>>
>> A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle part/most
>> of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15% then its
>> not doing anything at all for the rest of the time.
>>
>> If you would provide a location (url) where you notice 100%
>> cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On some
>> pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu usage is
>> quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.
>>

> I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
> Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to tweak how
> rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of a competing
> process of equal or higher perceived importance to the user.
>
> In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I have
> little interest in visiting pages that would require me to turn
> it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not actively using
> Firefox--when I'm using something else like Eudora or
> Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can legimately use available
> processor time up to 100-pct when they're doing their database
> management tasks.)
>
> When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager to see
> what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's painless for
> me to kill the process because the program is open just to
> enhance its availability. Going back to the same page,
> everything drops back down to less than 3- to 5-pct.
>
> But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular that
> is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in my FF
> useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully patched and
> protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD, adaware,
> spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
>
> Flatus

Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox DOING when its
using the cpu? Did you go to a url?

Home Theatre Guy

I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
come up

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:03:59 -0400, DTDoyle <""dtdoyle\"@NO SPAM.net">
wrote:

>gwtc wrote:
>> Home Theatre Guy wrote:
>>>
>>> Why is it doing this. Most of the time alli can do is do a cold reboot
>>>

>>> Is this a know bug ?
>>>
>>> Thanks for any help. Its enough to drivenme back ti IE.
>>>
>>> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
>>
>> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04...leak-progress/
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
>>

> Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
>I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
>newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
>files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
>link, it might help
>
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Home Theatre Guy

I do know i'am using Firefox.

It just seems to happen randomly when iam browesing. Ill try to see if
its any Particular URLS that is causing it. But hard to do when it
just happens and your not taking any notice. Ill try

I think it also happens when i leave the browser and do other things,
like watch a Divx Movie or some tv on my tuner card. But it does not
happen right away always after some time has past.

Thanks.

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 04:05:12 +1000, Home Theatre Guy <Home Theatre
Guy> wrote:

>I would turn it off if it let me. Control Alt Delte is locked or just
>not working, becuase Firefiox is useing 100% of the cpu so it dont
>come up
>

>On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 12:03:59 -0400, DTDoyle <""dtdoyle\"@NO SPAM.net">
>wrote:
>
>>gwtc wrote:

>>> Here's some reading for you, and yes its a known problem:
>>>
>>> http://www.squarefree.com/2006/02/04...leak-progress/
>>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Reducing_memory_usage_(Firefox)>
>>> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=354828
>>>

>> Are you sure its Firefox and not Thunderbird thats maxing out the CPU?
>>I had this problem earlier and it was due to TBird archiving previous
>>newsgroup headers and files, resulting in the App trying to load huge
>>files before responding. Try compacting the folders and check out this
>>link, it might help
>>
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders

Flatus Ohlfahrt

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:35:57 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
wrote in
news:1sOwg.164920$(E-Mail Removed)
t:

> Flatus Ohlfahrt wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:41:23 GMT, Mozilla Champion (Dan)
>> wrote in
>> news:60Lwg.164271$(E-Mail Removed).
>> net
>> :

>>> How long does it stay at 100% Cpu? Would you rather it
>>> used 50% and took twice as long to display a page? Using
>>> 100% is the most efficient use of the processor, if it
>>> was only using 75% those other 25% of cycles are wasted,
>>> gone, never recovered.
>>>
>>> A cpu that isnt runniing at 100% is sitting idle
>>> part/most of the time. i.e. if your cpu is running at 15%
>>> then its not doing anything at all for the rest of the
>>> time.
>>>
>>> If you would provide a location (url) where you notice
>>> 100% cpu usage we might be able to explain it better. On
>>> some pages, especially those with flash animation, cpu
>>> usage is quite heavy, quite heavy indeed.
>>>

>> I understand what you're saying. But, here's my take.
>> Theoretically 100-pct is fine _if_ the user is able to
>> tweak how rapidly a process will shed its load in favor of
>> a competing process of equal or higher perceived
>> importance to the user.
>>
>> In my useage, I have flash animation turned-off. And, I
>> have little interest in visiting pages that would require
>> me to turn it on. I typically notice the peak when I'm not
>> actively using Firefox--when I'm using something else like
>> Eudora or Mailwasher. (Both of those programs can
>> legimately use available processor time up to 100-pct when
>> they're doing their database management tasks.)
>>
>> When I notice an I/O slugishness, I'll go to task manager
>> to see what's causing it. Often enough it's Firefox. It's
>> painless for me to kill the process because the program is
>> open just to enhance its availability. Going back to the
>> same page, everything drops back down to less than 3- to
>> 5-pct.
>>
>> But, I will watch to see if there's some URL in particular
>> that is causing what I perceive to be a minimal problem in
>> my FF useage. And, FWIW, I do have my W2K system fully
>> patched and protected by a decent hosts file, spybotSD,
>> adaware, spywareblastr, AVG, and Sygate.
>>
>> Flatus

> Not certain of what you are saying here. What is Firefox
> DOING when its using the cpu? Did you go to a url?

It's certainly not _doing_ _anything_ that I would expect to
cause an exceptionally high long-duration demands on the CPU.
Indeed, Firefox might well be minimizaed in what I would expect
to be, a passive state waiting to be called upon to do something
meaningful.

Thinking about it, it could well be related to one of my
extensions that's executing a background task. Is there a
practical way of seeing which firefox processes are using what
system resources?

Flatus