Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Trouble sending mp3 attachments

Trouble sending mp3 attachments

gwtc

Olgierd wrote:
> *gwtc* wrote:
>
>> why do you have an av checking outgoing mail? Disable it. Its only
>> incoming mail you want to check, not outgoing!

> Me? I do not use any antivirus software! I don't have to

in the 12 years I've been on the net, I've never had to use one.

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
furniture dealer.

HellPopeHuey

gwtc wrote:

> first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
> space [-- ]. Thanks

Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
the sake of the useful information and laughs Usenet often confers. Its
mostly a positive thing and should be taken for its greater merits. I
just sail past flame wars and the like as easily discarded wastes of
time, but geez, pull that STICK out, willya? Have a snort, watch "The
Simpsons" and let it go.

HPH

gwtc

HellPopeHuey wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>
> > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
>> space [-- ]. Thanks

> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
> the sake of the useful information and laughs Usenet often confers. Its
> mostly a positive thing and should be taken for its greater merits. I
> just sail past flame wars and the like as easily discarded wastes of
> time, but geez, pull that STICK out, willya? Have a snort, watch "The
> Simpsons" and let it go.
>
> HPH

Well, if thats your attitude then *PLONK*

--
So, You Think You Know Everything?

Did you know that Al Capone's business card said he was a used
furniture dealer.

Ed Mullen

gwtc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
>> auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip
>> to unpack the archive.
>>

> what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.

Version 10.0.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Ed Mullen

HellPopeHuey wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>
> > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash dash
>> space [-- ]. Thanks

> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for

A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
gave.

--

Ed Mullen wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> FWIW, I use Winzip and it will split a zip file and also create an
>>> auto-extracting archive so the recipient doesn't have to have Winzip
>>> to unpack the archive.
>>>

>> what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.
>>

> Version 10.0.

ahhh, that explains it.

--

gwtc wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:
>>>>
>>> what version of winzip does that? Mine, 7.0, doesn't.
>>>

>> Version 10.0.
>>

> ahhh, that explains it.

It also supports higher compression ratios. Might be time for an
upgrade.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

gwtc

Ed Mullen wrote:
> gwtc wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:

>>> Version 10.0.
>>>

>> ahhh, that explains it.
>>

> It also supports higher compression ratios. Might be time for an
> upgrade.

only if its FREE

--

Ed Mullen wrote:
HellPopeHuey wrote:
>> gwtc wrote:
>>
>> > first, you need to fix your sig line delimiter. It should be dash

>> dash space [-- ]. Thanks
>>>>

>> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
>> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
>> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
>> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
>> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
> >

> A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
> broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
> tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
> gave.

You are the first two to complain about it in over a year and the
crowd on that group laughed at the previous person who thought it was an
issue at all. Focus on the content and ignore the sig. Most find it
amusing enough and no one is 'forced' to do anything but read or not
read. He made a point of mentioning it 3x; that's worse overkill than a
lengthy sig you can simply click past. My last comment on it: make the
posts your priority and don't waste time being picky over formatting
that doesn't affect the main content we come for. Its a useful group and
I appreciate people's pointers, which I usually persue with no comment.
That's the only priority of merit.

HPH

Troy Piggins

* HellPopeHuey wrote:
> Ed Mullen wrote:
> HellPopeHuey wrote:

>>> dash space [-- ]. Thanks
>>>>>
>>> Sheesh, don't you have anything better to do than get anal over such
>>> minutiae? Its a minor oversight and a blip on the screen of the larger
>>> e-world. I rarely bother to respond to such fussiness, but it gets
>>> TEDIOUS. If you don't like the content of a group or anyone's posts,
>>> skip past them. I have to do it; its just part of "doing business" for
>> >

>> A 23 line sig that can't automatically be stripped out because of a
>> broken delimiter is more than a minor blip. To use your word: it's
>> tedious. gwtc's suggestion was polite and didn't merit the response you
>> gave.

> You are the first two to complain about it in over a year and the
> crowd on that group laughed at the previous person who thought it was an
> issue at all. Focus on the content and ignore the sig. Most find it
> amusing enough and no one is 'forced' to do anything but read or not
> read. He made a point of mentioning it 3x; that's worse overkill than a
> lengthy sig you can simply click past. My last comment on it: make the
> posts your priority and don't waste time being picky over formatting
> that doesn't affect the main content we come for. Its a useful group and
> I appreciate people's pointers, which I usually persue with no comment.
> That's the only priority of merit.

HPH - may I add my 2 cents?

There is an unofficial "netiquette" where
USENET signatures are limited to about 4 lines long, about 80 chars
wide, and are delimited by a "-- " as gwtc pointed out.

There are plenty of people who use sigs much larger than this
recommended one. You will find many people don't like it and some will
not help you based on that alone. Personally, that doesn't bother me
because my newsreader software deletes oversized sigs.

But to do so it needs the correct delimiter to find the sig. This is
somewhat of a standard and many/most newsreaders and mail user agents
pick up on the delimiter and know everything below it is a signature.

So if you were to change your delimiter to a dash-dash-space only on the
first line, most people will be happy. It may sound "anal" or pedantic,
but that's the way the software is written. I notice you're using
Mozilla on a mac. I'm sure if you look at my post you'll notice a
difference in the way the sig is handled if you reply, or even the
display format. Compare that to the display or followup of your own

Thanks.

--
Troy Piggins : "Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."
,-o