Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Dive Into Python -- Still Being Updated?

Dive Into Python -- Still Being Updated?

hanumizzle@gmail.com

I find Dive Into Python generally an excellent text, and I am not
surprised to see people recommending it...but I have noticed a few
errors already:

http://diveintopython.org/getting_to...ting_code.html

The function called fib (presumably short for Fibonacci) appears to
produce factorials. Anyway, 'fib' should really be called 'hem'.

http://diveintopython.org/native_dat...r.tuplemethods

I think tuples have methods, na?

hanumizzle@debian:~$ python
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Jun 20 2006, 11:52:59)
[GCC 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)] on linux2
>>> print "\n".join(dir(tuple))

__add__
__class__
__contains__
__delattr__
__doc__
__eq__
__ge__
__getattribute__
__getitem__
__getnewargs__
__getslice__
__gt__
__hash__
__init__
__iter__
__le__
__len__
__lt__
__mul__
__ne__
__new__
__reduce__
__reduce_ex__
__repr__
__rmul__
__setattr__
__str__

Alan Franzoni

Il 22 Jul 2006 15:48:36 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:

> http://diveintopython.org/getting_to...ting_code.html
>
> The function called fib (presumably short for Fibonacci) appears to
> produce factorials. Anyway, 'fib' should really be called 'hem'.

I think this is just a bad name for the function... it's not stated
anywhere that it should return a Fibonacci sequence.

> http://diveintopython.org/native_dat...r.tuplemethods
>
> I think tuples have methods, na?

Well... of course they have some *special* methods, (any python object has)
but they have no method of their own. I think this is pretty clear, it's
employed to emphasize the contrast with the list object.

BTW, you can see last update is 20 May 2004; it's right on the homepage.

--
Alan Franzoni <(E-Mail Removed)>
-

hanumizzle@gmail.com

Alan Franzoni wrote:
> Il 22 Jul 2006 15:48:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
>
> > http://diveintopython.org/getting_to...ting_code.html
> >
> > The function called fib (presumably short for Fibonacci) appears to
> > produce factorials. Anyway, 'fib' should really be called 'hem'.

> I think this is just a bad name for the function... it's not stated
> anywhere that it should return a Fibonacci sequence.

Well, yeah, my point. It's misleading. He was on the right track (it is
a sequence), but he goofed a little. In general, Mark Pilgrim's
material is pretty damn good.

> > http://diveintopython.org/native_dat...r.tuplemethods
> >
> > I think tuples have methods, na?

> Well... of course they have some *special* methods, (any python object has)
> but they have no method of their own. I think this is pretty clear, it's
> employed to emphasize the contrast with the list object.

I'm coming from Perl/Ruby, so maybe I don't grasp the concept of
'special' methods yet.

> BTW, you can see last update is 20 May 2004; it's right on the homepage.

I know ...it is open content (GFDL), so I suppose I could pick it
up...maybe later

cga2000

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 11:32:23PM EDT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Alan Franzoni wrote:
> > Il 22 Jul 2006 15:48:36 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) ha scritto:
> >
> > > http://diveintopython.org/getting_to...ting_code.html
> > >
> > > The function called fib (presumably short for Fibonacci) appears to
> > > produce factorials. Anyway, 'fib' should really be called 'hem'.

> > I think this is just a bad name for the function... it's not stated
> > anywhere that it should return a Fibonacci sequence.

> Well, yeah, my point. It's misleading.

... a "fib".. as in "telling fibs.."

so the function lies .. therefore it does not return a Fibonacci
sequence..

???