Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > getaddrinfo not found on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5

getaddrinfo not found on SCO OpenServer 5.0.5

edcdave@gmail.com

I'm trying to get MoinMoin 1.5.4 running with Python 2.3.4 (installed
from an SCO Skunkworks binary). Python 2.3.4 (#1, Aug 27 2004,
18:22:39) [GCC 2.95.3 20030528 (SCO/p5)] on sco_sv3

One of the MoinMoin modules attempts to import cgi and triggers this
traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./moin.cgi", line 43, in ?
from MoinMoin.request import RequestCGI
File "/usr/moin/lib/python2.3/site-packages/MoinMoin/request.py",
line 10, in ?
import os, re, time, sys, cgi, StringIO
File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/cgi.py", line 39, in
?
import urllib
File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/urllib.py", line 26,
in ?
import socket
File "/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/socket.py", line 44,
in ?
import _socket
ImportError: dynamic linker: /usr/bin/python: relocation error: symbol
not found: getaddrinfo; referenced from:
/opt/K/SCO/python/2.3.4/usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/_socketmodule.so

getaddrinfo is not supported in OpenServer 5, but it is available under
the UDK. That is, the function is present in /udk/usr/lib/libsocket.so.
I've tried adjusting LD_LIBRARY_PATH without success. My questions:

1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?

2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?

3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

Thanks,
Dave Harris

Steve M

In case you haven't heard Microsoft is suing SCO for stealing his
Internet concepts and letters and numbers, so you should probably just
ditch OpenServer and get Debian like all the smart people have done.

I guess the quality of SCO software has declined over the last forty or
fifty years and they had to have David Boies compile libsocket and that
is probably why this broken symbol problem is happenig.

I'm sorry if you cannot switch from the SCO platform, in which case
this message may not be very helpful. Have a nice day!

David Reed

On Jul 21, 2006, at 4:20 PM, Steve M wrote:

> In case you haven't heard Microsoft is suing SCO for stealing his
> Internet concepts and letters and numbers, so you should probably just
> ditch OpenServer and get Debian like all the smart people have done.
>
> I guess the quality of SCO software has declined over the last
> forty or
> fifty years and they had to have David Boies compile libsocket and
> that
> is probably why this broken symbol problem is happenig.
>
> I'm sorry if you cannot switch from the SCO platform, in which case
> this message may not be very helpful. Have a nice day!

This is way off-topic, but it's SCO that is suing IBM and IBM
countersuing SCO. It appears that Microsoft was helping bankroll
SCO's lawsuit. If you want to see how it's going, look at a graph of
the SCOX (the ticker symbol) stock price since 2003 (paying close
attention to the more recent price as the judge has started ruling on
discovery issues). It was in 2003 when they started claiming everyone
using Linux owed them money and they sued IBM for billions of
dollars. Also see groklaw.net if you really want to know more about
it. In the interest of full disclosure, I made money shorting SCOX
stock from mid 2003 to mid 2004 (borrowed and sold at $11, bought
back at $5).

Dave

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

> 1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
> If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?
>
> 2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?
>
> 3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

There is an autoconf test to determine whether getaddrinfo is
available on the system. You should study that test to find out
why it thinks the function is available when it is actually not.
If you can't do that, you can manually edit pyconfig.h to
change the outcome of configure.

Regards,
Martin

edcdave@gmail.com

Martin v. L÷wis wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > 1) I've seen mention of native vs. Python getaddrinfo implementations.
> > If that's true, how can I force the program to use the Python one?
> >
> > 2) Is there an option to not use the BSD Library function?
> >
> > 3) Finally, is there a trick to searching for shared libaries?

> There is an autoconf test to determine whether getaddrinfo is
> available on the system. You should study that test to find out
> why it thinks the function is available when it is actually not.
> If you can't do that, you can manually edit pyconfig.h to
> change the outcome of configure.
>
> Regards,
> Martin

Thank you for the suggestion. I will try it July 24 when I am back in
the office.

I've dug into it further and, on the surface, it appears that IPv6 was
identified as available when the binary was built for OSR 5. IPv6 is
not available for OSR5, so the binary was built on OSR 6 and
mislabeled, or the autoconf test failed.

Thanks again, Martin, for the relevant reply,
Dave Harris