Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Text Summarization

Text Summarization

Jim Jones

Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

gatti@dsdata.it

Jim Jones wrote:
> Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
> and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

There is a OTS wrapper.

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:44:28 GMT, "Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)>

> Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
> and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

I've not heard of ANY language/library that supports that... You are
asking for an application that can parse natural language AND UNDERSTAND
the contents of that language to rewrite it...

Not even the AI realm has succeeded at that, to my knowledge (just
look at some of the garbage BabelFish produces...)

Language syntax may be easy.... semantics is much harder.

Consider the old "Time flies like an arrow"... Is "Time" a verb?
[use a stopwatch to time flies between a start and end, as with an arrow
shot from bow]. An adjective? [blue-tail flies, house-flies, ...
time-flies]. Is "like" the verb [squirrels like an acorn]...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (E-Mail Removed)

Duncan Booth

Jim Jones wrote:

> Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of
> text, and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

If you are on Windows you could use COM to stuff the text into a Word
document and then use Word's autosummarize feature to generate the summary.

However, even Microsoft admit that "Itís unlikely that Word will create the
exact summary that you need. You will need to do some editing of the
summary."

Simon Forman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Jim Jones wrote:
> > Is there a Python library that would allow me to take a paragraph of text,
> > and generate a one or two sentence summary of that paragraph?

> There is a OTS wrapper.

http://libots.sourceforge.net/

as for the wrapper, this was all I could find (in about 15 minutes on
google):
http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi?na...action=display

route aggregation and summarization aaabbb16@hotmail.com Cisco 3 03-24-2008 04:35 PM
Summarization with EIGRP dennis Cisco 3 01-22-2008 10:11 AM
Route summarization from within an MPLS domain.... Scooby Cisco 0 06-06-2007 04:05 PM
OSPF Summarization within Area 0 ciscortp@hotmail.com Cisco 4 05-27-2006 06:57 PM

Advertisments