Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PyQT installation /configuration

Reply
Thread Tools

PyQT installation /configuration

 
 
adrian_p_smith@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2006
Hi there. I've been trying to get PyQT working on W2K, but have not yet
found a sufficiently detailed walk-through for my somewhat
command-line-challenged sensibilities. I did find this page:
http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/GPLPyQtWindows , but I'm not sure
about installing the whole of Visual Studio .NET as a prerequisite. Can
anyone tell me if the passing of the years has made this process any
more approachable?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Phil Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2006
On Saturday 15 July 2006 9:25 am, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi there. I've been trying to get PyQT working on W2K, but have not yet
> found a sufficiently detailed walk-through for my somewhat
> command-line-challenged sensibilities. I did find this page:
> http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/GPLPyQtWindows , but I'm not sure
> about installing the whole of Visual Studio .NET as a prerequisite. Can
> anyone tell me if the passing of the years has made this process any
> more approachable?


For Qt4 use the binary installer from...

http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows

For PyQt4 use the binary installer from...

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/download.php

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
adrian_p_smith@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-15-2006

Phil Thompson wrote:
> On Saturday 15 July 2006 9:25 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hi there. I've been trying to get PyQT working on W2K, but have not yet
> > found a sufficiently detailed walk-through for my somewhat
> > command-line-challenged sensibilities. I did find this page:
> > http://www.diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/GPLPyQtWindows , but I'm not sure
> > about installing the whole of Visual Studio .NET as a prerequisite. Can
> > anyone tell me if the passing of the years has made this process any
> > more approachable?

>
> For Qt4 use the binary installer from...
>
> http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows
>
> For PyQt4 use the binary installer from...
>
> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/download.php


Ah thanks, I'm a dork. Why didn't I see that before <mutter>?

 
Reply With Quote
 
adrian_p_smith@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Phil Thompson wrote:


> > For Qt4 use the binary installer from...
> >
> > http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows
> >
> > For PyQt4 use the binary installer from...
> >
> > http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/download.php

>
> Ah thanks, I'm a dork. Why didn't I see that before <mutter>?


Waitaminute, didn't you write it? Oh dear.

I've got another problem, I'm afraid - I've installed Qt 4.1.4 and PyQt
GPL v4.0 over Python 2.4, and the demos for both run happily enough,
but when I try to run the first example (in IDLE) from Boudewijn
Rempt's GUI Programming with Python: QT Edition I just get
"ImportError: No module named qt". Is there something I need to add to
my sys.path here?

Sorry to bother you with the newbie questions.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Boddie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've got another problem, I'm afraid - I've installed Qt 4.1.4 and PyQt
> GPL v4.0 over Python 2.4, and the demos for both run happily enough,
> but when I try to run the first example (in IDLE) from Boudewijn
> Rempt's GUI Programming with Python: QT Edition I just get
> "ImportError: No module named qt". Is there something I need to add to
> my sys.path here?


The module structures for PyQt3 and PyQt4 are quite different: the
monolithic qt module from PyQt3 has been replaced by a number of
modules in PyQt4. Despite this, there is a similar way to "import qt"
in PyQt4:

from PyQt4 import Qt

However, you will have difficulty using the examples in that book
because it was written for PyQt3. Work is underway to "port" the book
to PyQt4, but it will take some time. (You can help with this and learn
about PyQt4 at the same time, if you want.)

In the meantime, the set of slides from a talk at EuroPython 2006 is
probably the only learning material on the web for PyQt4:

http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDi...&amp;confId=44

There's plenty of learning material for Qt 4; the official
documentation at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1 contains examples
and overviews that are readable if you already know C++. Those of us
who use PyQt4 are still catching up!

All the best,

David

 
Reply With Quote
 
adrian_p_smith@yahoo.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006

David Boddie wrote:

> The module structures for PyQt3 and PyQt4 are quite different: the
> monolithic qt module from PyQt3 has been replaced by a number of
> modules in PyQt4. Despite this, there is a similar way to "import qt"
> in PyQt4:
>
> from PyQt4 import Qt
>
> However, you will have difficulty using the examples in that book
> because it was written for PyQt3.


Ah yes, it doesn't recognise "QApplication" now. Never mind.

> Work is underway to "port" the book
> to PyQt4, but it will take some time. (You can help with this and learn
> about PyQt4 at the same time, if you want.)


Er...you might be overestimating my potential unless there's some
*really* entry-level material to be dealt with there. Though they do
say it's a good way to learn. Is there a forum?

> In the meantime, the set of slides from a talk at EuroPython 2006 is
> probably the only learning material on the web for PyQt4:
>
> http://indico.cern.ch/contributionDi...&amp;confId=44
>
> There's plenty of learning material for Qt 4; the official
> documentation at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1 contains examples
> and overviews that are readable if you already know C++.


One of the reasons I chose Python was so I wouldn't have to, alas.

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
On Sunday 16 July 2006 1:09 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Phil Thompson wrote:
> > > For Qt4 use the binary installer from...
> > >
> > > http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/windows
> > >
> > > For PyQt4 use the binary installer from...
> > >
> > > http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/download.php

> >
> > Ah thanks, I'm a dork. Why didn't I see that before <mutter>?

>
> Waitaminute, didn't you write it? Oh dear.
>
> I've got another problem, I'm afraid - I've installed Qt 4.1.4 and PyQt
> GPL v4.0 over Python 2.4, and the demos for both run happily enough,
> but when I try to run the first example (in IDLE) from Boudewijn
> Rempt's GUI Programming with Python: QT Edition I just get
> "ImportError: No module named qt". Is there something I need to add to
> my sys.path here?
>
> Sorry to bother you with the newbie questions.


Boudewijn's book describes Qt/PyQt v3.

Phil
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Boddie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-16-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> David Boddie wrote:
>
> > However, you will have difficulty using the examples in that book
> > because it was written for PyQt3.

>
> Ah yes, it doesn't recognise "QApplication" now. Never mind.


QApplication is still there. You can access it via the Qt module and
create an application object in the following way:

import sys
from PyQt4 import Qt
app = Qt.QApplication(sys.argv)

> > Work is underway to "port" the book
> > to PyQt4, but it will take some time. (You can help with this and learn
> > about PyQt4 at the same time, if you want.)

>
> Er...you might be overestimating my potential unless there's some
> *really* entry-level material to be dealt with there. Though they do
> say it's a good way to learn. Is there a forum?


Yes, it's at http://mats.imk.fraunhofer.de/mailman/listinfo/pykde

> > There's plenty of learning material for Qt 4; the official
> > documentation at http://doc.trolltech.com/4.1 contains examples
> > and overviews that are readable if you already know C++.

>
> One of the reasons I chose Python was so I wouldn't have to, alas.


Much of the example code for Qt is readable even if you only
know Python. Some of the main differences between Qt and PyQt
are described in this document:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/Do.../pyqt4ref.html

Good luck!

David

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PyQt 4.7 installation on Windows Gib Bogle Python 0 02-26-2010 11:43 AM
PyQT installation Nanoscalesoft Python 16 01-01-2005 09:46 PM
PyQt installation problem Bulba! Python 0 12-29-2004 10:08 PM
[PY GUI] interest function in python GUI(wxpython,pyqt) program.wxpython,pyqt ulysses Python 4 10-22-2003 03:28 PM
PyQT installation problems Stelian Iancu Python 4 08-20-2003 11:23 PM



Advertisments