Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > RedHat: Easiest way to upgrade from Python 2.3 to 2.4

RedHat: Easiest way to upgrade from Python 2.3 to 2.4

gmax2006

Hi,

My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

I use ActiveState python in Windows. Is it the best distribution for
Linux as well?

Thank you,
Max

Fredrik Lundh

gmax2006 wrote:

> My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
> What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

grab the source tarball from python.org, built it according to
instructions (./configure; make), and install using:

# make altinstall

DO NOT do a full install; you'll most likely break RedHat stuff if you
do that.

to access the resulting binary, use "python2.4" instead of "python".

</F>

gmax2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> DO NOT do a full install; you'll most likely break RedHat stuff if you
> do that.

I was expecting an rpm to do the update. This is a sensitive production
box. I think I should just continue with Python 2.3.

Regards,

Stefan Behnel

gmax2006 wrote:
> My RedHat Linux installation already has Python 2.3 on it.
> What is the easiest way to upgrade it to 2.4?

The source tar-ball contains an file Misc/RPM/python-XXX.spec that you can use
to build an RPM ("rpmbuild -bs" or "rpm -bs"). The resulting package will
normally be called "python2.4", so if your current installation uses plain
"python" (rpm -q python), you can install it without any problems with
backwards compatibility.

Stefan