Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Span port question from newbie

Span port question from newbie

Mike

Running a Cisco 6509 switch with a WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE supervisor engine.
I want to set up a span port to monitor all web traffic. I ran the
following command on the switch: "set span 2/1 2/2 both inpkt enable"
.. The PC on the span port (2/2) can now monitor traffic, map drives,
ping anything..etc but I cannot connect to that machine from any
other. Pings time out. What am I doing wrong?

harald rüger

A machine connectet to a span port is isolatet from normal forwarding. The
switch copys only frames to that interface.

/markus
<Mike> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running a Cisco 6509 switch with a WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE supervisor engine.
> I want to set up a span port to monitor all web traffic. I ran the
> following command on the switch: "set span 2/1 2/2 both inpkt enable"
> . The PC on the span port (2/2) can now monitor traffic, map drives,
> ping anything..etc but I cannot connect to that machine from any
> other. Pings time out. What am I doing wrong?

Ben

Easy to find this on CCO if you search for "SPAN 6500"

"harald rüger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A machine connectet to a span port is isolatet from normal forwarding. The
> switch copys only frames to that interface.
>
> /markus
> <Mike> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Running a Cisco 6509 switch with a WS-X6K-SUP1A-2GE supervisor engine.
> > I want to set up a span port to monitor all web traffic. I ran the
> > following command on the switch: "set span 2/1 2/2 both inpkt enable"
> > . The PC on the span port (2/2) can now monitor traffic, map drives,
> > ping anything..etc but I cannot connect to that machine from any
> > other. Pings time out. What am I doing wrong?

Mike

That's where I got the command in the first place...and I couldn't get
it to work right so I came here hoping for some helpful advice on what
I'm doing wrong.

Back to the issue....span port is configured as follows:

Destination : Port 3/36
Admin Source : Port 3/1
Oper Source : Port 3/1
Direction : transmit/receive
Incoming Packets: enabled
Learning : enabled
Multicast : enabled
Filter : -

I can ping the destination PC from the switch...but can't from another
PC in the same VLAN. Anyone have an idea of what might be the issue?

Can span include span? Fulio Open HTML 5 06-26-2009 10:24 PM
DataGrid (body only) contained in <span>...</span> tags Dan Bishop ASP .Net Datagrid Control 2 06-07-2004 04:00 PM
Enable drag and drop to the text between <span></span> Wang, Jay Javascript 5 05-25-2004 09:33 PM

Advertisments