Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PDF with nonLatin-1 characters

PDF with nonLatin-1 characters

victor

I want to generate a report and the PDF fits perfectly. Though there is
an issue of using different encoding in the doc. I tried PyPS with no
success. I need a lib that can make PDFs with an arbitrary set of fonts
(possibly embed them into the document). What would you suggest?

Nick Vatamaniuc

victor,

Have you tried Reportlab ( http://www.reportlab.org/rl_toolkit.html )?
That sounds like what you might need.

-Nick Vatamaniuc

victor wrote:
> I want to generate a report and the PDF fits perfectly. Though there is
> an issue of using different encoding in the doc. I tried PyPS with no
> success. I need a lib that can make PDFs with an arbitrary set of fonts
> (possibly embed them into the document). What would you suggest?

Stefan Behnel

victor wrote:
> I want to generate a report and the PDF fits perfectly. Though there is
> an issue of using different encoding in the doc. I tried PyPS with no
> success. I need a lib that can make PDFs with an arbitrary set of fonts
> (possibly embed them into the document). What would you suggest?

I'd suggest generating LaTeX code and using PDFlatex. It's pretty hard to get
better results from any other tool.

Stefan

per9000

Stefan Behnel wrote:
> victor wrote:
> > I want to generate a report and the PDF fits perfectly. Though there is
> > an issue of using different encoding in the doc. I tried PyPS with no
> > success. I need a lib that can make PDFs with an arbitrary set of fonts
> > (possibly embed them into the document). What would you suggest?

> I'd suggest generating LaTeX code and using PDFlatex. It's pretty hard to get
> better results from any other tool.
>
> Stefan

I agree that LaTeX is great in most cases - but it is a bit tricky to
learn if you are not used to it.

There is something called txt2tags ( http://txt2tags.sourceforge.net/ )
that converts a simple textformat to most other formats (from "text" to
html, tex, man etc) - I have not tried it fully, it could be nice, but
it disturbs me that the format is (just a little) different from the
wiki-format.

It is written in python and has open source I think.

/Per - yet another yet-another-fan
http://www.pererikstrandberg.se