Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2950 trunking all vlans

Cisco 2950 trunking all vlans

Piccalo Clark

Hi,

I'm using a Cisco Catalyst 2950 at the base switch in my network. When
I say bases switch I mean the switch my gateway is connected to and
provides uplinks to all other switches in my network. I have several
trunk ports configured, which transport all vlans, eg:

#show interfaces fastEthernet 0/24 sw
Name: Fa0/24
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: On
Access Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Administrative private-vlan host-association: none
Administrative private-vlan mapping: none
Operational private-vlan: none
Trunking VLANs Enabled: ALL
Pruning VLANs Enabled: NONE

The problem I am having is: When I add another switch to the network I
want this trunk port to transport all the vlans on the new switch. I
have to explicitly add each vlan on the new switch to my base switch,
which I don't want to do each time, eg:

#vlan database
#vlan 50 name new_vlan
VLAN 50 added:
Name: new_vlan

Is there anyway to get the 2950 to just transport all vlans ? Oh, I
forgot to mention, the other switches in the network are not Cisco,
and don't support VTP!

When I do the follow:
#show interfaces trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
Fa0/1 on 802.1q trunking 1
Fa0/23 on 802.1q trunking 1
Fa0/24 on 802.1q trunking 1

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
Fa0/1 1-4094
Fa0/23 1-4094
Fa0/24 1-4094

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Fa0/1 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215
Fa0/23 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215
Fa0/24 1,10-11,40,50,109-112,214-215

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
Fa0/1 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215
Fa0/23 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215
Fa0/24 1,10-11,40,109-112,214-215

I can see that although the trunk ports 1, 23 & 24 are trunking all
vlans, the list of allowed vlans prevents this from happening. Another
acceptable solution, although not as good, would be if i could add
vlans in a range to the vlan database, eg:

#vlan database
#vlan 50-250

Adding Vlans 50 to 250.

Any idea appreciated ?