Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > wanted: framework for creating nice step by step graphical visualisationsof running Python code

wanted: framework for creating nice step by step graphical visualisationsof running Python code

Claudio Grondi

Today I bumped by chance into explaining what algorithms do by using
animation (Java applets):
http://www-sr.informatik.uni-tuebing...er/BM/BM1.html

Is there any tool in Python (except pyGame, Tkinter or other general
purpose visualization tools) I am not aware of which would make it easy
to create a similar, animated run through Python script code?

A free debugging tool capable of stepping line by line through Python
code showing values of selected objects will do as a first approach, but
it would be nice to be able to output also some graphics and/or text
like it is done in the mentioned above example at pre-defined points in
code called there
/* visualisation step */

Any hints towards getting or constructing such a framework are welcome.

Claudio Grondi

bearophileHUGS@lycos.com

I remember Gato:
http://gato.sourceforge.net/
It animates only algorithms on graphs, but it seems a starting point,
and it works.

I vaguely remember another system, but probably not very good.

Bye,
bearophile

Claudio Grondi

> I remember Gato:
> http://gato.sourceforge.net/
> It animates only algorithms on graphs, but it seems a starting point,
> and it works.
>
> I vaguely remember another system, but probably not very good.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

Yes, I have noticed Gato already before, but was not able to find my way
into it - I am missing a kind of tutorial explaining what it is all
about - the description of available classes or demos don't tell me much
about it, so I have no idea how to start - is there any tutorial out
there explaining it from the very beginning what is it for, how it does
it and why?
By the way: it seems to be very slow on my 3 GHz Pentium 4 system ...

Any other hints?

Claudio