Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Help this amateur. Unidirectional speed problem.

Help this amateur. Unidirectional speed problem.

OZJ

Problem:

Copying a large file down from a file server (VLAN A) to a workstation
(VLAN B) takes about 3 seconds. Copying the same file back up to the
file server takes roughly 30 minutes.

Workstations attached to the same VLAN as the server don't have this
problem.

Environment:

10 Cisco 2950s
All the 2950s are either connected directly to the 4006 via fiber or to
another directly connected switch via a stacking GBIC.

As you can imagine, I know next to nothing about routing. I'd really
appreciate any feedback and I'd be more than happy to post any
configuration information you request.

Thanks.

PJML

OZJ wrote:
> Problem:
>
> Copying a large file down from a file server (VLAN A) to a workstation
> (VLAN B) takes about 3 seconds. Copying the same file back up to the
> file server takes roughly 30 minutes.
>
> Workstations attached to the same VLAN as the server don't have this
> problem.
>
> Environment:

> 10 Cisco 2950s
> All the 2950s are either connected directly to the 4006 via fiber or to
> another directly connected switch via a stacking GBIC.
>
> As you can imagine, I know next to nothing about routing. I'd really
> appreciate any feedback and I'd be more than happy to post any
> configuration information you request.

First thing - check duplex settings on the source and
destination devices and the ports they are connected-to
on the switch(es) - then check the error-rates on the
links between the switches.