Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Logging to a file and closing it again properly (logging module)

Logging to a file and closing it again properly (logging module)

Christoph Haas

Evening,

I have an application that is running in an endless loop processing an
incoming queue. Every run is supposed to write a log file about the run
and then close it again. While the 'logging' module is generally working
well (even though the documentation makes me miss some proper examples
how everything works together) I can't seem to close the log file again
to open a new one.

This is basically what I'm doing:

log = logging.getLogger("myapplication")
log.addHandler(logging.FileHandler("/tmp/testfile"))
log.setLevel(logging.INFO)
log.info("foo")

Now I'm missing a way to tell this handler to go away. Through 'ipython'
I found out there is a log.handlers array that contains all the
handlers. Perhaps I could delete all of them but I'm sure there is a
more proper way to close files again.

Googling found me:

.>>> logging._handlers.clear()
.>>> logging.root.handlers = []
.>>> for l in logging.Logger.manager.loggerDict.values():
.>>> l.handlers = []

But this looks really really ugly. I don't like to mess with the gears
in the 'logging' module.

Ideas?

Kindly
Christoph