Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Questions about extending Python...

Questions about extending Python...

Redefined Horizons

I've got a third-part application that exposes a C API. I'd like to
wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?

Scott Huey

Scott David Daniels

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I've got a third-part application that exposes a C API. I'd like to
> wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
> embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?

This is the place. Swig & Pyrex are a couple of standard answers.

--Scott David Daniels

malv

Redefined Horizons wrote:
> I've got a third-part application that exposes a C API. I'd like to
> wrap it in Python. Is there a specific forum that covers extending and
> embedding Python, or are those type of questions O.K. on this list?
>
> Scott Huey

Over the years, many posts (and questions) have come up on dynamically
importing and reloading modules and the inadequacy of the now available
import and reload() features. This should enable one to modify or add
code at runtime without having to restart the application.
Unfortunately, few respondents understand the implications of this
possibility. Regrettably also some display their ignorance by swinging
their self perceived weight around.

James Coplien, a Bell Laboratories Scientist, published "Advanced C++
Programming Styles and Idioms". Although now 15 years old, this book
still has today quite some impact. Of particular interest for the
problem at hand is Chapter 9 which presents idioms supporting
incremental run-time update. Further Coplien illustrates in this
chapter the major advantage gained by languages like Smalltalk and Lisp
in this matter by having incremental run-time update as a built-in
feature.

Reading Coplien may further the cause of this very basic missing
requirement in Python,

Fredrik Lundh

malv wrote:

> Over the years, many posts (and questions) have come up on dynamically
> importing and reloading modules and the inadequacy of the now available
> import and reload() features.

and this is related to extending Python with code from existing C
libraries in exactly what way ?

> Reading Coplien may further the cause of this very basic missing
> requirement in Python,

so, what are you waiting for ? just do it, and post a patch when you're
done.

</F>