Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > How to install NM-1E on 2611XM

How to install NM-1E on 2611XM

dritix

I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
router. However, this is not the case. The enable LED goes ON when
the router goes thru its self test but then it goes back OFF.

I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.

Dritix

Tax Johnson

"dritix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
> seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
> basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
> router. However, this is not the case. The enable LED goes ON when
> the router goes thru its self test but then it goes back OFF.
>
> I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
> earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Dritix

What version of IOS ( "show version" ) are you running?

According to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...t/etne__p2.htm you
need at least
11.3(4)T

dritix

As far as I remember (i am not by the router right now) it is 12.x .
Therefore I assume the IOS is not the problem here.
How would you normally install it? I mean, would you just plug it in
and it would automatically show in the interface list? Am I missing
something?

Dritix

"Tax Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<6f9cd.151142$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>...
> "dritix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> >I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
> > seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
> > basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
> > router. However, this is not the case. The enable LED goes ON when
> > the router goes thru its self test but then it goes back OFF.
> >
> > I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
> > earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Dritix

> What version of IOS ( "show version" ) are you running?
>
> According to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...t/etne__p2.htm you
> need at least
> 11.3(4)T

Ben

Sounds like you powered off to install so that's a good thing. Try reseating
it if you haven't already and try again.

Next when the router boots do a 'show diag' and see if it has recognised any
hardware in that slot at all.

If it comes up with a bunch of information for slot x the module should be
ok. If not you may have some bad hardware - chassis or module.

"dritix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> As far as I remember (i am not by the router right now) it is 12.x .
> Therefore I assume the IOS is not the problem here.
> How would you normally install it? I mean, would you just plug it in
> and it would automatically show in the interface list? Am I missing
> something?
>
> Dritix
>
> "Tax Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:<6f9cd.151142$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com>...
> > "dritix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > >I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
> > > seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
> > > basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
> > > router. However, this is not the case. The enable LED goes ON when
> > > the router goes thru its self test but then it goes back OFF.
> > >
> > > I am fairly new to routers and I haven't done a module install
> > > earlier. Any kind of help is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Dritix

> > What version of IOS ( "show version" ) are you running?
> >
> > According to http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...t/etne__p2.htm

you
> > need at least
> > 11.3(4)T

=?ISO-8859-2?Q?=A3ukasz_Bromirski?=

dritix wrote:
> I am trying to install NM-1E module on my 2611XM router but I can't
> seem to get it to work. Cisco site says that all you need to do is
> basically plug it in and it should appear on the interface list of the
> router.

Yes, but if You have IOS that supports this card. Someone mentioned
this page:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...t/etne__p2.htm

but this is info for OLD 2600 routers. The XM-ones need newer IOSes,
and for the NM-1E on 2600XM I would go for 12.3 "stable" line,
or 12.2(2)T/12.2(11)YT images (according to Software Advisor).

--
this space was intentionally left blank | Łukasz Bromirski
you can insert your favourite quote here | lukasz:bromirski,net

dritix

I believe we have the right IOS version, but still I can't see what is
wrong. This is what I get with sh ver:

*******************

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-ENTBASE-M), Version 12.3(10), RELEASE
SOFTWARE (f
c3)
Compiled Tue 17-Aug-04 05:11 by kellythw
Image text-base: 0x80008098, data-base: 0x812BED44

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE
(fc1)

Router uptime is 11 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-entbase-mz.123-10.bin"

cisco 2611XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x301) with 125952K/5120K
bytes of me
mory.
Processor board ID FOC08290E47 (1279321586)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
2 FastEthernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102

As you see, there are the 2 fastethernet interfaces that came with the
router, but no ethernet interface shows up from the NM card?

Any ideas...

dritix