Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Still problem with telnet-please help

Still problem with telnet-please help

Rob

"Javier Henderson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Rob" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > When i try to telnet to a 2621 router it asks for Login, I dont know

what
> > happend or what I have done last time I was working on that, however it
> > wasnt asking me for Login, I had to only enter the password.
> > Also, if I telnet to this router from a swith it still only asks for
> > password. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem.

> Log in any way you can, then look at the configuration. Pay particular
> attention to the config statements around "line vty 0 4" (or however
> many vty's you have defined). Other statements you would be looking at
> would be ones starting with "aaa".
>
> What probably happened is that someone added authentication steps to
> some of the vty's.
>
> -jav

Here is what I have under vty 0 4:
exec-timeout 0 0
password xxxxx
login
!
any idea what causes that login prompt?
Thanks again-Rob

Ben

What do you want to happen?

Probably best to be a bit more specific and specify:

vty 0 4
no password
login local

Then create a local username and password in the global config:

username bob password 123

Regardless of which interface you telnet from this is the login that will be
applied to your session - provided you are ssh/telnetting (which comes in on
the vty)

If you are consoling in you will need to have a similar configuration under
line console 0