Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python script for remotely shutting down Windows PC from Linux ?

Python script for remotely shutting down Windows PC from Linux ?

diffuser78@gmail.com

I am a newbie in Python and want your help in writing python script.

I have to remotely shut the windows px from linux box. I run OpenSSH on
windows PC. I remotely connect it from Linux box using

ssh Admin@IP_ADDR # connects me fine now without problems
(LOCAL)

Next, I wrote a script that would log me in and also shut the windows
pc down, so I wrote a script

ssh Admin@IP_ADDR # connects me fine now without problems (LOCAL)
shutdown -s # This is a windows command (REMOTE)

Now, when I run this script, it successfully logs me into the windows
box but doesn't run the second part of the script which is to shut down
the windows PC. Can you please tell me why ??

Is there a way using Python script to perform this operation ?

Every help is appreciated.

Diez B. Roggisch

> Next, I wrote a script that would log me in and also shut the windows
> pc down, so I wrote a script
>
> ssh Admin@IP_ADDR # connects me fine now without problems (LOCAL)
> shutdown -s # This is a windows command (REMOTE)
>
> Now, when I run this script, it successfully logs me into the windows
> box but doesn't run the second part of the script which is to shut down
> the windows PC. Can you please tell me why ??

Because you execute both commands locally. ssh opens a connection to the
remote machine. Then if that connection is terminated, the next command is
executed. LOCALLY!

Use

ssh Admin@IP_ADDR shutdown -s

to execute commands remote using ssh.

> Is there a way using Python script to perform this operation ?

use the subprocess module or shellutils to execute the above.

Diez

diffuser78@gmail.com

> ssh Admin@IP_ADDR shutdown -s

Than indeed worked....Thanks

> use the subprocess module or shellutils to execute the above.

I am a python newbie and how easy or difficult it is using the sub
process module and shell utils.

Thanks,

I really appreciate your help.

bruno at modulix

>>ssh Admin@IP_ADDR shutdown -s

> Than indeed worked....Thanks
>
> > use the subprocess module or shellutils to execute the above.

> I am a python newbie and how easy or difficult it is using the sub
> process module and shell utils.

It's as difficult as :
1. read the doc
2. write some code
3. test it
4. if you're in trouble, go back to 1.
5. if you're still in trouble, post here with relevant infos

--
bruno desthuilliers
p in '(E-Mail Removed)'.split('@')])"