Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > simple pix 515e question

simple pix 515e question

jonnah

hi,

Pix 515e documentation says that it can support up to 6 ethernet
connections...
there are 2 slots available on the pix, and u can purchase a 1-port
ethernet interface card or a 4-port interface card, meaning if you buy
a 4 port can and insert it to the first slot (top slot), then
basically, your bottom slot is useless?

also, what happens if we did not follow normal port nomenclature and
installed an interface on the bottom slot first and then on the top
slot next? i.e. we installed a 1-port interface card on the bottom
slot first (named ethernet 2)? and then installed a 1-port interface
card on the top slot next, does the bottom slot remain named ethernet
2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
ethernet 2?

thanks for any info

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
jonnah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
ix 515e documentation says that it can support up to 6 ethernet
:connections...
:there are 2 slots available on the pix, and u can purchase a 1-port
:ethernet interface card or a 4-port interface card, meaning if you buy
:a 4 port can and insert it to the first slot (top slot), then
:basically, your bottom slot is useless?

Sounds about right.

:also, what happens if we did not follow normal port nomenclature and
:installed an interface on the bottom slot first and then on the top
:slot next? i.e. we installed a 1-port interface card on the bottom
:slot first (named ethernet 2)? and then installed a 1-port interface
:card on the top slot next, does the bottom slot remain named ethernet
:2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
:ethernet 2?

When you boot up with the new hardware configuration, the system
is not going to have any memory of how your hardware was configured
last time around. The result will thus be whatever it would have been
had you installed into the other slot first.
--
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.

jonnah

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-cnrc.gc.ca (Walter Roberson) wrote in message news:<cki5ee$mtf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
> jonnah <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ix 515e documentation says that it can support up to 6 ethernet
> :connections...
> :there are 2 slots available on the pix, and u can purchase a 1-port
> :ethernet interface card or a 4-port interface card, meaning if you buy
> :a 4 port can and insert it to the first slot (top slot), then
> :basically, your bottom slot is useless?
>
> Sounds about right.
>

> :also, what happens if we did not follow normal port nomenclature and
> :installed an interface on the bottom slot first and then on the top
> :slot next? i.e. we installed a 1-port interface card on the bottom
> :slot first (named ethernet 2)? and then installed a 1-port interface
> :card on the top slot next, does the bottom slot remain named ethernet
> :2 or does it slide down to ethernet 3 and the top slot becomes
> :ethernet 2?
>
> When you boot up with the new hardware configuration, the system
> is not going to have any memory of how your hardware was configured
> last time around. The result will thus be whatever it would have been
> had you installed into the other slot first.

ok. meaning the top slot becomes ethernet 2 and the bottom slot
becomes ethernet 3....