Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > send an email with picture/rich text format in the body

Reply
Thread Tools

send an email with picture/rich text format in the body

 
 
Ben Finney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-28-2006
"anya" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Acctualy there is a solution:
> see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/473810


Again, sending anything but plain text as the message body ensures
that your message is unreadable to a large number of people using a
variety of software. It's your choice whether to restrict your
audience in this way, but know that that's what you're doing.

If your message is going to be accompanied by a plain text body anyway
(as advised by the recipe you refer to), that plain text body is either
sufficient to give the necessary information, or not.

If the plain text is sufficient, please don't bloat the message with
the same information in an inefficient, non-standard message body. If
the plain text is not sufficient to say what you want to say, please
use a means of distributing it other than email.

> and , if you will set all the neccessary parametrs, it won't be
> recognized as a spam,


For many people, who have trained their spam classifier with the
majority of spam they receive, the simple fact that it contains HTML
and images *at all* is enough to classify it as spam.

--
\ "Prediction is very difficult, especially of the future." -- |
`\ Niels Bohr |
_o__) |
Ben Finney

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Max M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Ben Finney wrote:
> "anya" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>
>>Acctualy there is a solution:
>>see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/473810

>
>
> Again, sending anything but plain text as the message body ensures
> that your message is unreadable to a large number of people using a
> variety of software. It's your choice whether to restrict your
> audience in this way, but know that that's what you're doing.



90% of users are non-technical users who use standard email readers,
that can easily read html messages.

In my experience the kind of user that receives emails with html and
pictures often prefer it that way.

So why bother with the lecture? I cannot remember when I have last
received a relevant email that I could not read in text mode.


--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Phone: +45 66 11 84 94
Mobile: +45 29 93 42 96
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Scott David Daniels
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Max M wrote:
> 90% of users are non-technical users who use standard email readers,
> that can easily read html messages.
>
> In my experience the kind of user that receives emails with html and
> pictures often prefer it that way.
>
> So why bother with the lecture? I cannot remember when I have last
> received a relevant email that I could not read in text mode.


Because
(A) This _is_ a technical newsgroup with mores you are violating.
(B) Some of us "technical users" avoid such email/news readers
precisely because they can cause tracking across the web.

--
--Scott David Daniels
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Max M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Scott David Daniels wrote:
> Max M wrote:
>
>> 90% of users are non-technical users who use standard email readers,
>> that can easily read html messages.
>>
>> In my experience the kind of user that receives emails with html and
>> pictures often prefer it that way.
>>
>> So why bother with the lecture? I cannot remember when I have last
>> received a relevant email that I could not read in text mode.

>
>
> Because
> (A) This _is_ a technical newsgroup with mores you are violating.


*I* am? How? By disagreeing on how technology should be used?


> (B) Some of us "technical users" avoid such email/news readers
> precisely because they can cause tracking across the web.


Yes but some times it's just simpler to send formatted text and images.
I also use text only email. But I don't believe everybody else has to.


--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science

Phone: +45 66 11 84 94
Mobile: +45 29 93 42 96
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ten
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
On Monday 29 May 2006 11:28, Max M wrote:
> Ben Finney wrote:
> > "anya" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >>Acctualy there is a solution:
> >>see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/473810

> >
> > Again, sending anything but plain text as the message body ensures
> > that your message is unreadable to a large number of people using a
> > variety of software. It's your choice whether to restrict your
> > audience in this way, but know that that's what you're doing.

>
> 90% of users are non-technical users who use standard email readers,
> that can easily read html messages.
>


Even if your 90% were any kind of real statistic, 90% of everyone is not
everyone, and there ends the technical debate.

100 != 90

As a matter of interest, I'm almost sure that on checking you'd find
that of the widely available mail clients, only a minority will display
such a mail properly without further interaction.

You might find that platform neutrality and usefulness to people are
genuine considerations for those with any kind of technical integrity,
and that "most people use this particular piece of proprietary software
so let's just say screw the rest" (whilst still benefiting from a
platform-neutral medium, and bouncing it off open source servers) is
widely considered a shabby and broken way of working.

If people want to palm people off with excuses and
generally implement things in a lazy, badly badly planned, mercenary and
undisciplined way, they're probably better off spending their time with the
non-technical management and not amongst programmers.

Sorry for the rant, good luck to the guy if he's solved his problem,
but damn, that "90% so let's not bother doing things properly" stuff makes my
blood boil.

--
There are 10 types of people in this world,
those who understand binary, and those who don't.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Edward Elliott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Ten wrote:

> Sorry for the rant, good luck to the guy if he's solved his problem,
> but damn, that "90% so let's not bother doing things properly" stuff makes
> my blood boil.


You must really hate browsing the web then.

--
Edward Elliott
UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)
complangpython at eddeye dot net
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ben Finney
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      05-29-2006
Max M <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Ben Finney wrote:
> > "anya" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >
> >>Acctualy there is a solution:
> >>see http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Coo.../Recipe/473810

> >
> >
> > Again, sending anything but plain text as the message body ensures
> > that your message is unreadable to a large number of people using a
> > variety of software. It's your choice whether to restrict your
> > audience in this way, but know that that's what you're doing.

>
>
> 90% of users are non-technical users who use standard email readers,
> that can easily read html messages.


Even if your figure of 90% were correct, 10% of readers is still a
large number for most purposes. It's also unknown exactly *which* 10%
of your readers that covers.

> In my experience the kind of user that receives emails with html and
> pictures often prefer it that way.


What of those who prefer it not to be that way?

What of those who are *incapable* of reading a message that way?

> So why bother with the lecture? I cannot remember when I have last
> received a relevant email that I could not read in text mode.


Nice for you. Fortunately, standard message formats allow the internet
to be used by those other than the enabled majority. Let's keep it
that way.

--
\ "People come up to me and say, 'Emo, do people really come up |
`\ to you?'" -- Emo Philips |
_o__) |
Ben Finney

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to send body and attachements in an email message? srinivasan srinivas Python 0 12-03-2008 10:40 AM
ASP.NET 2 - how can I embed variables in an email body text file Mark1249 ASP .Net 3 10-05-2007 03:29 PM
all the text (including tags) between <body> .. </body> tarakparekh@yahoo.com Perl Misc 5 09-07-2005 11:40 PM
How can I get text of the body (payload) of an email? andrew blah Python 6 10-16-2004 10:49 PM
How can I send the page in the body of email. Mike John ASP .Net 1 07-06-2003 08:06 PM



Advertisments