Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python editor recommendation.

Python editor recommendation.

DeepBlue

Hi all,

Can any one please recommend me an editor for coding Python. Thank u.
I have Komodo (www.activestate.com) in my mind. Is the editor any good?

regards.

BartlebyScrivener

I'm on Windows XP, and I like Komodo a lot. It does php, html, perl,
python, ruby etc. It's just a tad slow to load (takes about 10 seconds
on my AMD Athlon 2700), but I usually leave it on all day, so I don't
notice. If you're on Linux you might ask others.

rpd

Dale Strickland-Clark

Vim.

Everything else is Notepad.

--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems www.riverhall.co.uk

gdkinney@gmail.com

I've always just used Idle myself.

BartlebyScrivener

>> Vim

Yes, and enjoy the month off work while you are learning how to use it
;>

Thomas Guettler

Am Tue, 09 May 2006 14:37:53 +0100 schrieb Dale Strickland-Clark:

> Vim.
>
> Everything else is Notepad.

Vi or vim are good for editing config files over ssh. For programming
I use XEmacs.

HTH,
Thomas

--
Thomas GŁttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/
Spam Catcher: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

malv

Look at eric:
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html

Editor is QScintalla
I tried everithing and prefer eric. (it's free)

malv

dfaber

I use Eclipse with the Pydev plugin. It's great way to start
familiarizing yourself with Python. The editor has got great features
and the debugger will be a great help too. Vim is great too but may be
not a good idea if you are new to Python.

Good luck!

Jerry

I have used Eclipse+PyDev in the past. I don't use the debugger though
and don't find the outline all that useful, so now I just use the
PythonWin interface that comes with the ActiveState Python
distribution.

Another one that I've heard lots of people seem to like is Stani's
Python Editor (SPE). You can find it at
http://stani.be/python/spe/blog/

John Salerno

DeepBlue wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can any one please recommend me an editor for coding Python. Thank u.
> I have Komodo (www.activestate.com) in my mind. Is the editor any good?
>
> regards.

As a newbie (referring to myself), I recommend typing everything by hand
first, so you will learn all the little things that need to be done. I
find that IDEs, and even some editors that have auto-complete, etc.,
necessarily cause your mind to skip over some things that, while you are
new to the language, you should do manually.

Of course, if you aren't new, ignore this post entirely!