Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco Catalyst 2900 series switch

Cisco Catalyst 2900 series switch

B1SHOP

Just received a working Cisco 2900 series switch. I want to pursue my CCNA
and purchased a router as well (Although that has not arrived yet). My
question- I cannot connect to my switch via the console port. Is there a
special command that I must use to connect. I am using the com port on my PC
since I don't have a laptop and wondering if there is a difference? I have
tried Telnet and HyperTerminal, but I don't know if I am doing anything
wrong. Are they special commands that I must use with Telnet once connected
to the switch via a console cable?

I have been reading books on CCNA, but they assume that you have consoled in
and haven't really explained commands or details on how to do this.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Phillip Remaker

You use hyperterminal, not telnet, to talk to a serial port.

Phillip Remaker

More details:
You typically want to use 9600/N/8/1 as the speed
flowcontrol off to start
How are you wiring to talk to the console port? That matters.

NEWS-vINOD

with the db9 to rj45 you should be able to console in, without a
problem. Just have hyperterminal up, use the correct COM for that
serial port, and you should see it boot up...

Can't telnet until you have an ip to telnet to...

The console should work... just make sure the console cable works
properly...

Vinny
"Take what I say with a grain of salt, for you know I may be wrong..."

B1SHOP wrote:
> Just received a working Cisco 2900 series switch. I want to pursue my CCNA
> and purchased a router as well (Although that has not arrived yet). My
> question- I cannot connect to my switch via the console port. Is there a
> special command that I must use to connect. I am using the com port on my PC
> since I don't have a laptop and wondering if there is a difference? I have
> tried Telnet and HyperTerminal, but I don't know if I am doing anything
> wrong. Are they special commands that I must use with Telnet once connected
> to the switch via a console cable?
>
> I have been reading books on CCNA, but they assume that you have consoled in
> and haven't really explained commands or details on how to do this.
> Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

B1SHOP

I am using a rollover cable to the console port on the back of the switch
from my serial port on the back of my pc

"Phillip Remaker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TIgad.1680$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> More details:
> You typically want to use 9600/N/8/1 as the speed
> flowcontrol off to start
> How are you wiring to talk to the console port? That matters.

B1SHOP

Unfortunately, I still don't see a boot menu. I believe that I am connected
via Hyperterminal. I see connected in the lower right hand corner of the
hyperterminal session, but I don't get a boot menu from the switch while I
am attached. There must be something that I am doing wrong.

"NEWS-vINOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> with the db9 to rj45 you should be able to console in, without a
> problem. Just have hyperterminal up, use the correct COM for that
> serial port, and you should see it boot up...
>
> Can't telnet until you have an ip to telnet to...
>
> The console should work... just make sure the console cable works
> properly...
>

> Vinny
> "Take what I say with a grain of salt, for you know I may be wrong..."
>

> B1SHOP wrote:
> > Just received a working Cisco 2900 series switch. I want to pursue my

CCNA
> > and purchased a router as well (Although that has not arrived yet). My
> > question- I cannot connect to my switch via the console port. Is there

> > special command that I must use to connect. I am using the com port on

my PC
> > since I don't have a laptop and wondering if there is a difference? I

have
> > tried Telnet and HyperTerminal, but I don't know if I am doing anything
> > wrong. Are they special commands that I must use with Telnet once

connected
> > to the switch via a console cable?
> >
> > I have been reading books on CCNA, but they assume that you have

consoled in
> > and haven't really explained commands or details on how to do this.
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks

Sjoerd Wolters

First of all, you need make sure your COM-port is working. After that,
choose the right COM-port in HyperTerminal and configure it like this:
Bits per second: 9600
Databits: 8
Parity: N
Stopbits: 1

Then you click OK to connect. Then you press ENTER. If you don't see
anythink one of the following things may be accuring:
- You choose the wrong port
- Your COM-port isn't functioning
- You didn't place the db9/rj45 convertor correctly

Check your hardware-thing (i forgot how to translate that from Dutch to
English, sorry 'bout that, hehe) in the configpanel.

B1SHOP wrote:
> Unfortunately, I still don't see a boot menu. I believe that I am connected
> via Hyperterminal. I see connected in the lower right hand corner of the
> hyperterminal session, but I don't get a boot menu from the switch while I
> am attached. There must be something that I am doing wrong.
>

> "NEWS-vINOD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>with the db9 to rj45 you should be able to console in, without a
>>problem. Just have hyperterminal up, use the correct COM for that
>>serial port, and you should see it boot up...
>>
>>Can't telnet until you have an ip to telnet to...
>>
>>The console should work... just make sure the console cable works
>>properly...
>>

>>Vinny
>>"Take what I say with a grain of salt, for you know I may be wrong..."
>>

>>B1SHOP wrote:
>>
>>>Just received a working Cisco 2900 series switch. I want to pursue my

> CCNA
>
>>>and purchased a router as well (Although that has not arrived yet). My
>>>question- I cannot connect to my switch via the console port. Is there

>>>special command that I must use to connect. I am using the com port on

> my PC
>
>>>since I don't have a laptop and wondering if there is a difference? I

> have
>
>>>tried Telnet and HyperTerminal, but I don't know if I am doing anything
>>>wrong. Are they special commands that I must use with Telnet once

> connected
>
>>>to the switch via a console cable?
>>>
>>>I have been reading books on CCNA, but they assume that you have

> consoled in
>
>>>and haven't really explained commands or details on how to do this.
>>>Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks

Velvet

B1SHOP wrote:
> Unfortunately, I still don't see a boot menu. I believe that I am connected
> via Hyperterminal. I see connected in the lower right hand corner of the
> hyperterminal session, but I don't get a boot menu from the switch while I
> am attached. There must be something that I am doing wrong.

Have you verified your com port works on your pc? Check it's not
disabled in BIOS etc.

If that fails, get a copy of ethereal (packet sniffer), shove your pc
onto the switch via network, have a look to see if the switch has an IP
address assigned. You might be lucky and be able to set the pc up to
telnet into it.

--

Velvet

Cisco Catalyst 2900 dave Cisco 6 02-28-2008 10:31 PM
cisco catalyst 2900 series jc179 Cisco 0 04-26-2007 04:04 AM
2 cisco catalyst 2900 connectec and 2 bridges connection. Jarek Jarzebowski Cisco 2 01-05-2007 07:49 PM
Vlans on a 2900 series XL switch vos Cisco 7 03-21-2006 05:10 PM
VLAN trunking across Catalyst 2900 XL and Catalyst 1900. Jarek Jarzebowski Cisco 1 06-18-2005 08:57 PM

Advertisments