Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 2950 / 2600 VLAN help needed.

2950 / 2600 VLAN help needed.

TF

Hi,

I'm trying to create a simple vlan to get some equipment off our main
network. I've created a vlan across a couple of 2950's using trunk links
successfully but now I'd like to be able to route between the vlan and
the rest of our lan (and later add acl's but thats another issue).

I have a 2600 router with 2 ethernet interfaces, do I need to use both
i/f's or should I configure a subinterface, and should I plug the router
into a trunk port on the switch?

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Terry.

Toby

"TF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckasuu$jo2$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a simple vlan to get some equipment off our main
> network. I've created a vlan across a couple of 2950's using trunk links
> successfully but now I'd like to be able to route between the vlan and the
> rest of our lan (and later add acl's but thats another issue).
>
> I have a 2600 router with 2 ethernet interfaces, do I need to use both
> i/f's or should I configure a subinterface, and should I plug the router
> into a trunk port on the switch?
>
> Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Terry.

Are the 2600 Ethernet ports standard 10M ports or FastEthernet 10/100M

If they are standard then you will need to use both ports and connect them
to the switch without using trunking.

If they are fastEthernet then you can use 2 subinterfaces off one interface
ensuring the encapsulation type is set the same as on the switch and use a
trunk port.

Toby

Fatman Superstar

If you want to do InterVLAN routing via SubIf you will need IP PLUS feasture
set

AJ

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jm7ad.439$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "TF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ckasuu$jo2$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to create a simple vlan to get some equipment off our main
> > network. I've created a vlan across a couple of 2950's using trunk links
> > successfully but now I'd like to be able to route between the vlan and

the
> > rest of our lan (and later add acl's but thats another issue).
> >
> > I have a 2600 router with 2 ethernet interfaces, do I need to use both
> > i/f's or should I configure a subinterface, and should I plug the router
> > into a trunk port on the switch?
> >
> > Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Rgds,
> >
> > Terry.

> Are the 2600 Ethernet ports standard 10M ports or FastEthernet 10/100M
>
> If they are standard then you will need to use both ports and connect them
> to the switch without using trunking.
>
> If they are fastEthernet then you can use 2 subinterfaces off one

interface
> ensuring the encapsulation type is set the same as on the switch and use a
> trunk port.
>
> Toby

Erik Tamminga

Hi,

Yes, you can use sub-interfaces (trunking) if you have an IOS Plus image
loaded onto the router. The 261x series routers have 10Mbps interfaces and
can only handle sub-interfaces with a recent version of IOS's.

Erik

"TF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckasuu$jo2$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a simple vlan to get some equipment off our main
> network. I've created a vlan across a couple of 2950's using trunk links
> successfully but now I'd like to be able to route between the vlan and
> the rest of our lan (and later add acl's but thats another issue).
>
> I have a 2600 router with 2 ethernet interfaces, do I need to use both
> i/f's or should I configure a subinterface, and should I plug the router
> into a trunk port on the switch?
>
> Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Terry.

TF

Thanks for the replies chaps!

Am I right in thinking that if my router does not have IP Plus I can
connect one interface to the vlan ports on the 2950 and the other into
the non-vlan ports and route between the two?

Thanks,

Terry.

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create a simple vlan to get some equipment off our main
> network. I've created a vlan across a couple of 2950's using trunk links
> successfully but now I'd like to be able to route between the vlan and
> the rest of our lan (and later add acl's but thats another issue).
>
> I have a 2600 router with 2 ethernet interfaces, do I need to use both
> i/f's or should I configure a subinterface, and should I plug the router
> into a trunk port on the switch?
>
> Any help / advice greatly appreciated.
>
> Rgds,
>
> Terry.

Javier Henderson

TF <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Am I right in thinking that if my router does not have IP Plus I can
> connect one interface to the vlan ports on the 2950 and the other into
> the non-vlan ports and route between the two?

Yes.

-jav

HHMinhKhai HHMinhKhai is offline
Junior Member

Hi All of you!
Can you tell me more detail : how to connect and routing from Vlans (Cisco2950 switch) to LANs Or WANs with Cisco 2600 router .
Thanks,

bedoel bedoel is offline
Junior Member

2950-A ----- 2950-B ------ 2600

2600:
check if it can be in 802.1Q trunking
subinterface it like this
f0/0.1
encapsulation dot1q 1
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
make as many vlan u use

not to forget 2950-B u have to make 2 trunking 1 to 2950-A & 1 to 2600

hope it'l work

HHMinhKhai HHMinhKhai is offline
Junior Member

Hi bedoel !
Thank for your reply.
After routing Inter VLAN :
I want to route VLans to WAN (connect to serial Interface on 2600 Router)
Can You help me ?
Thank .

bedoel bedoel is offline
Junior Member

in router it's just network layer work (IP) so you just use static or dynamic routing whatever, or if u use for internet perhaps u can use NAT.

PWR-2600-AC 2600 power supply to switch over a DC router? dehusk@gmail.com Cisco 2 08-09-2008 10:47 PM
differnce between a 2950 xl and a 2950 Cisco switch? Tacobell Cisco 5 03-13-2007 07:18 AM
Please Help! Cisco 3750, 2950, and ASA5540, 7301, single QinQ trunked vlan, feck199 Cisco 1 09-06-2006 01:59 PM
Cisco 2600 / VLAN Paul Guthrie Cisco 1 03-04-2004 12:35 AM
Two ethernet ports on 2600 to same vlan Dan Jenkins Cisco 3 02-19-2004 09:00 PM

Advertisments