Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > xml-rpc and 64-bit ints?

xml-rpc and 64-bit ints?

Mark Harrison

I've got an API that deals with 64 bit int values. Is there
any way of handling this smoothly? Right now I'm casting
the values into and out of strings for the API.

If not, are there any nice alternatives to XML-RPC that
support this?

Many TIA!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison
Pixar Animation Studios

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Mark Harrison wrote:
> I've got an API that deals with 64 bit int values. Is there
> any way of handling this smoothly? Right now I'm casting
> the values into and out of strings for the API.

In XML-RPC, everything is transmitted as a string, so I
don't think that choice is really that bad - except of
course for the additional clumsiness for invoking explicit
conversion functions.

But no, XML-RPC doesn't have a data type that can represent
integers above 2**32. If you can accept losing precision,
you can use doubles (but you still would have to convert
explicitly on the sender).

> If not, are there any nice alternatives to XML-RPC that
> support this?

CORBA certainly supports 64-bit integers.

Regards,
Martin