Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > (avaya vs. cisco) VLAN membership question

(avaya vs. cisco) VLAN membership question

NNTP

how do I make a port participate on all the vlans on a cisco switch?
is this even doable?

we have an old avays router/switch and we plan to replace them with
cisco 6509 sometime soon. we currently route between some 35 vlans on
a avaya switch/router. I see there are several ports on the avaya
router that are made part of ALL the existing vlans on the
switch/router.

these are the ports that connect closet switches to the avaya (with
fiber). I assume with the 6509 I'd have to setup similar thing.

Sami

"NNTP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> how do I make a port participate on all the vlans on a cisco switch?
> is this even doable?

> we have an old avays router/switch and we plan to replace them with
> cisco 6509 sometime soon. we currently route between some 35 vlans on
> a avaya switch/router. I see there are several ports on the avaya
> router that are made part of ALL the existing vlans on the
> switch/router.
>
> these are the ports that connect closet switches to the avaya (with
> fiber). I assume with the 6509 I'd have to setup similar thing.

You must create a trunk port under interface configuration and choose
encapsulation dot1q.

eg: Config-if# switchport mode trunk
Config-if# switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

The syntax of these commands varies depending the Cisco model
but this is the idea.

-Sami