Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Setup of PIX 501 with DSL router

Setup of PIX 501 with DSL router

Mike McWhinney

Hello,

I have been asked by a colleague of mine to set up a Cisco PIX 501 VPN
appliance on their network. They have DSL broadband internet at two
locations. I followed the installation as outlined in the quick start
guide. However I must be missing some steps in the configuration. I
cannot get *any* internet access (i.e. surfing the net, google.com,
etc) when I have it connected as described in the manual.

The DSL router is a Netopia Cayman router which is set up as
192.168.1.254 WAN IP. From my understanding, the connection from the
Cayman DSL router needs to connect to Eth0 interface on the PIX 501.
I am then using Eth1 (port marked #1 on the PIX) to cascade to a
10/100 ethernet switch (there are not enough ports on the 501 to
connect each computer directly). This should not be a problem right?
I am using the Orange cable (crossover) to connect the DSL router to
the PIX 501. Then using a Yellow cable to connect from the PIX 501 to
the 10/100 switch.

I am not sure what needs to be set up in the PIX device manager (PDM).
When I
do a https://192.168.1.1 I get the configuration web server. What
information do I need to fill in so that I can get the VPN device to
work with the most basic configuration? I looked on Cisco's web site
but they do not seem to have a basic guide for this VPN appliance.

Thanks in advance.

Mike McWhinney

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
Mike McWhinney <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have been asked by a colleague of mine to set up a Cisco PIX 501 VPN
:appliance on their network.

:The DSL router is a Netopia Cayman router which is set up as
:192.168.1.254 WAN IP. From my understanding, the connection from the
:Cayman DSL router needs to connect to Eth0 interface on the PIX 501.

: When I
:do a https://192.168.1.1 I get the configuration web server.

When set to factory defaults, the PIX 501, 506, or 506e are configured
with the *inside* interface set to 192.168.1.1 with a netmask of
255.255.255.0, and the web configurator (PDM) is by default only
configured to allow access from the inside.

You have configured your DSL router on your *outside* interface
to be part of the IP range that the PIX defaults to for its *inside*
interface. That would require that you configure the PIX outside
interface to be part of the 192.168.1/24 address range, but you cannot
configure two interfaces to be part of the same IP range on the PIX.

Either you have a clash of IP addresses, or else you did a bunch
of configuration work already that you failed to mention and are
configuring the PIX from the -outside-. My money would be on the
clash of IP address ranges.

If you want basic documentation on setting up your PIX, please see
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/...3qsg/index.htm

--
vi -- think of it as practice for the ROGUE Olympics!

Add router between DSL and PIX 501 coltwagdl88 Cisco 1 01-17-2009 03:47 AM
PIX 501 and ISA 20004 - Pix for DSL PPPOE only and no NAT... Terry Cole Cisco 0 01-18-2007 02:27 PM
pix 501 with dsl cdoc Cisco 8 06-07-2006 02:30 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
Using a DSL router without DSL service? Lunaray Computer Information 3 10-18-2004 03:46 AM

Advertisments