Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Change enable password via SNMP

Change enable password via SNMP

Craig B.

I'm trying to write a VB app that changes our admin passwords on our
Cisco switches and routers. I initially tried writing a telnet script
tool to do this but ran into some problems with that. I've considered
using "expect" to do this and run it as a shell from within the VB
app. I find that a bit chesey, but will do it as a last resort.

Can you chang the enable and enable secret password via SNMP?

If so, what is the SNMP string to get there?

Thanks in adavance.

Craig

Andrej Brkic

On 2004-10-05, Craig B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm trying to write a VB app that changes our admin passwords on our
> Cisco switches and routers. I initially tried writing a telnet script
> tool to do this but ran into some problems with that. I've considered
> using "expect" to do this and run it as a shell from within the VB
> app. I find that a bit chesey, but will do it as a last resort.
>
> Can you chang the enable and enable secret password via SNMP?
>
> If so, what is the SNMP string to get there?

Well the easy way would be to have the new enable (or enable secret)
as config item in plaintext file and just do 'conf net' via snmp
pointing to your tftp server containg a file with a new password.

For example:

Replace 192.168.0.1 with your tftp servers address and the filename with the
file containing the new enable password.

After that you can do 'write mem' via snmp to save the new config

snmpset <router> <community> .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.cisco.lo cal.lsystem.writeMem.0 i 1

Examples above are for UCD SNMP. You could put it all in a small script
and feed the IP's of your routers/switches to it.

--
Andrej Brkic
Fakultet Prometnih Znanosti, Zagreb, Croatia