Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Filters like old skool Jive, Fudd, Valspeak... Text transformation in Python

Filters like old skool Jive, Fudd, Valspeak... Text transformation in Python

dananrg@yahoo.com

I would like to learn how to roll my own filter ala early 90's filters
like Jive, Fudd, Kraut, Moron, etc, that take text as an input, and
re-writes the text adding general hilarity of various linguistic flavor
(depending on the filter).

I always loved running my philosophy papers, or anything that sounded
"too dang serious" through filters. Gave me a new perspective on my own
writing.

Running the screenplay of the Empire Strikes Back through the Kraut
filter, particularly the scene where Vader reveals Skywalker's true
lineage, is amusing. No offense to good Germans everywhere. I'm sure
someone could write a good "American" filter than would be a gag on
American obsession with success and work, being happy 100% of the time,
etc.

Anyway, I'd like to see an old skool filter written in Python so I can
write my own filters. There's an old prof of mine so, erm,
linguistically unique, that I absolutely must write a Prof X filter to
share with old college buds. I need to encapsulate / generate a model
of the Prof's speech patterns for posterity and "educational purposes
only" - ok, for entertainment.

A fun way to learn more about Python and text processing.

Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

bruno at modulix

(snip part about filters)

> Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
> these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
> paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
> subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

--
bruno desthuilliers
p in '(E-Mail Removed)'.split('@')])"

dananrg@yahoo.com

bruno at modulix wrote:
> There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
> http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

Thanks Bruno! Perhaps I could modify it to throw in some Hume and
Wittgenstein, mix it all up in a syntactic / semantic blender and
REALLY confuse people. Word Games indeed.

Or throw in stuff by whichever philosopher who wrote a book called "The
Meaning of Meaning", to add some metaphoric recursion. And that what be
one heck of a Frankenstenian (but only 1 part Wittgensteinian)
Robo-philosopher.

Dana

Dave Hansen

On 5 Apr 2006 13:44:48 -0700 in comp.lang.python, (E-Mail Removed)
wrote:

>bruno at modulix wrote:
>> There's a Kant generator example in Dive Into Python:
>> http://diveintopython.org/xml_processing/index.html

>Thanks Bruno! Perhaps I could modify it to throw in some Hume and
>Wittgenstein, mix it all up in a syntactic / semantic blender and
>REALLY confuse people. Word Games indeed.
>
>Or throw in stuff by whichever philosopher who wrote a book called "The
>Meaning of Meaning", to add some metaphoric recursion. And that what be
>one heck of a Frankenstenian (but only 1 part Wittgensteinian)
>Robo-philosopher.

Don't forget the famous American philosopher who contemplated the
meaning of is.

Regards,
-=Dave

--
Change is inevitable, progress is not.

John Salerno

Dave Hansen wrote:

> Don't forget the famous American philosopher who contemplated the
> meaning of is.

Unfortunately, until he gives us a definition, we'll never really know
who he is...

John Machin

> Any good "generators" written in Python? I'd like to roll me one of
> these as well; e.g. execute the program and it will create a few
> paragraphs of text in the jargon of a discipline, subdiscipline,
> subculture, etc. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Perhaps you might be interested in this (contains a link to a Python
script):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_V_Shaney

program 4 skool project Rajat C++ 7 05-08-2007 02:54 AM
program 4 skool project Rajat C++ 0 05-07-2007 04:15 PM
program 4 skool project Rajat C++ 0 05-07-2007 04:14 PM
using the Filters DLL (image filters) Dieter Vanderelst Python 1 02-15-2006 09:56 AM
Canon: EF filters = EF-S filters? [blu|shark] Digital Photography 17 01-28-2004 10:04 AM

Advertisments