Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Is pwm Python MegaWidgets viable?

Is pwm Python MegaWidgets viable?

Paul Watson

Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.

Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?

Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
anything other than the Python release.

gregarican

Paul Watson wrote:

> Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
> 2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
>
> Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
>

> Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
> Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
> anything other than the Python release.

I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
any event. Just icing on the cake

Paul Watson

gregarican wrote:
> Paul Watson wrote:
>

>>Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
>>2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
>>
>>Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
>>

>>Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
>>Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
>>anything other than the Python release.

> I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
> extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
> offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
> there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
> that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
> that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
> Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
> scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
> of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
> stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
> new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
> any event. Just icing on the cake

Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

gregarican

Paul Watson wrote:

> Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
> Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
> such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
> about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

Here's the online tutorial that provides a basic introduction to
Tkinter --> http://www.pythonware.com/library/tkinter/introduction/. I
found it handy. I had used Tk implementations in other languages such
as Ruby so I had already become familiar with the overall Tk toolkit,
but nevertheless the online Tkinter tutorial was refreshing. Wasn't
aware of the Manning book but it sounds like a great resource as well!

James Stroud

Paul Watson wrote:
> gregarican wrote:
>
>> Paul Watson wrote:
>>

>>> Does pwm run well on Python 2.4? The last release appears to be in
>>> 2003. The Manning discussion forum is dead.
>>>
>>> Is there a better path to learning and producing tkInter apps?
>>>

>>> Has there been any discussion of wxPython becoming part of the base
>>> Python distro? A requirement here is to not require download/install of
>>> anything other than the Python release.

>> I can't vouch for Python 2.4, but I used the PMW library pretty
>> extensively for an app that is based on Python 2.3. Tkinker itself
>> offers most of the basic widgets that any Tk implementation does, and
>> there's an online guide (can't recall the URL right now) to Tkinter
>> that is great for an introduction tutorial. PMW is an add-on to Tkinter
>> that is useful if there are specific widgets that you need that basic
>> Tkinter doesn't provide and you don't feel like creating them from
>> scratch. Just because it doesn't have a new release in the past couple
>> of years doesn't mean that it's truly a dead project. Perhaps it's
>> stabilized and there haven't been overwhelming requests for adding any
>> new items to it. Using PMW won't help you learn Tkinter any quicker in
>> any event. Just icing on the cake

> Many thanks for your reply. I was setting out to make use of the
> Manning book by Grayson. Perhaps I should just use online tutorial and
> such for learning plain-old tk first. However, I have heard good things
> about the book. Just trying to use what was already at hand.

If you want to write full-featured GUI apps with Tkinter, Grayson is
your best bet. Lundh's tutorial is excellent as a reference, but, last I
checked, was not as extensive as Grayson in terms of teaching new users.

Also, PMW is relatively heavy-weight, so make sure the Python standard
library doesn't already do what you want before including PMW (e.g.
ScrolledText, etc.).

James

--
James Stroud
Box 951570

http://www.jamesstroud.com/

PWM using FPGA iceman VHDL 10 03-29-2011 03:21 PM
Verilog PWM DC motor carl12 VHDL 0 02-24-2009 12:58 AM
Adaptation from PI output to PWM??? nesppi@gmail.com VHDL 0 01-17-2006 07:47 PM
8 bit PWM modulator help Mark Zerr VHDL 10 04-15-2004 03:57 PM
ANNOUNCE: Pmw megawidgets 1.2 Greg McFarlane Python 0 08-22-2003 01:10 PM

Advertisments