Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > New Python website, new documentation ?

Reply
Thread Tools

New Python website, new documentation ?

 
 
1024nospam@freesurf.fr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-29-2006
Hi,

I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
would there also be changes in the doc itself ?

Martin.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Parkin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
>a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
>revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
>would there also be changes in the doc itself ?
>
>Martin.
>
>

docs.python.org will stay the same as far as I am aware but I'll be
looking at trying out a version of the docs using the new python.org
layout. Obviously this will affect more regular users of the site and so
will need testing out first. The structure of the documentation won't
change but it will have a new navigation (rather than just the back, up,
forward on the current latex2html output). It's probably best to get
something up on a test site to look at before over-analysing it though..

Tim Parkin
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Armin Ronacher
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
I paste my idea (original posted in #pythonpaste a few days ago):

<mitsuhiko> Chairos: what I really miss is a "go-python.org" page
<Chairos> which would be what?
<mitsuhiko> showing up python gui application, python wsgi
applications, a python documentation with a comment section, tutorials
and a wiki
<mitsuhiko> and everything compact
<mitsuhiko> and python.org for the companies and core developers

Something really basic. Only small tutorials, a documentation with
comments and a list of python applications. With a clean design and
only few links per page. Something like the rubyonrails page for
example.

Regards,
Armin

 
Reply With Quote
 
John J. Lee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-30-2006
Tim Parkin <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I was wondering : as there has been a change in python.org website with
> >a new design, is it planned for the documentation section to be
> >revamped as well ? If yes, would it be just a appearance renewal or
> >would there also be changes in the doc itself ?
> >
> >Martin.
> >
> >

> docs.python.org will stay the same as far as I am aware but I'll be
> looking at trying out a version of the docs using the new python.org
> layout. Obviously this will affect more regular users of the site and so
> will need testing out first. The structure of the documentation won't
> change but it will have a new navigation (rather than just the back, up,
> forward on the current latex2html output). It's probably best to get
> something up on a test site to look at before over-analysing it though..


How about the desktop icon used on Windows boxes? Will we see the shy
tadpoles replacing the squiggly green pixellated Python snake in 2.5?
If not, why not? -- is this not a branding excercise? (I don't
personally like the tadpoles, FWLIW, but inconsistency seems worse)


John

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tim Parkin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-31-2006
John J. Lee wrote:
>
> How about the desktop icon used on Windows boxes? Will we see the shy
> tadpoles replacing the squiggly green pixellated Python snake in 2.5?
> If not, why not? -- is this not a branding excercise? (I don't
> personally like the tadpoles, FWLIW, but inconsistency seems worse)
>
> John


I presume so. It's not really up to me though. Someone has created some
new icons based on the new logo that have received some positive
feedback and that I like a lot.

Tim Parkin


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
converting XSD documentation to HTML documentation kev.sully@gmail.com XML 1 09-16-2006 12:09 PM
[perl-python] Python documentation moronicities (continued) Xah Lee Perl Misc 27 05-13-2005 04:28 PM
[perl-python] Python documentation moronicities (continued) Xah Lee Python 75 05-13-2005 04:28 PM
Python documentation: How about structured documentation? Looking for comments/suggestions Kenneth McDonald Python 2 05-06-2004 04:11 AM
Principles of documentation (was: Python Documentation Blows!) Cameron Laird Python 1 04-03-2004 06:54 PM



Advertisments