Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 3750 Stack IP Address

3750 Stack IP Address

Amy L.

Several doc references that when stacking 3750's that the IP address
used for the stack will be different than the IP Addresses assigned to
the switches in the stack. However, I have been unsucessful in
finding out what the command from the docs would be to configure the
stack ip address.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Amy.

Brian V

"Amy L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Several doc references that when stacking 3750's that the IP address
> used for the stack will be different than the IP Addresses assigned to
> the switches in the stack. However, I have been unsucessful in
> finding out what the command from the docs would be to configure the
> stack ip address.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Amy.

Each switch gets it's own IP address. The Stack Master switch (which you can
select/assign) will be the IP address that you manage the entire stack by.

-Brian

hktco

Perhaps some same config code would be nice here. Do you mean that I
can/should config 3 IP addresses for each switch, plus 1 extra IP
address for the entire stack, if let's say I have 3 switches in the
stack?

hktco

"Brian V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Amy L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > Several doc references that when stacking 3750's that the IP address
> > used for the stack will be different than the IP Addresses assigned to
> > the switches in the stack. However, I have been unsucessful in
> > finding out what the command from the docs would be to configure the
> > stack ip address.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Amy.

> Each switch gets it's own IP address. The Stack Master switch (which you can
> select/assign) will be the IP address that you manage the entire stack by.
>
> -Brian

Jim Kirby

Holy crap, no! configure one(1) switch with one(1) IP address (and
the rest of your config). Set this switch as stack member/priority #1
(sorry, don't remember the command). Connect second switch to first
using stacking cable. Power on second switch. It is now configured
too (with stacking priority 2). Continue with up to 7 additional
switches (for a total of 9). Write mem.

Optionally, you can add stacking priorities to the other switches so
you can define which one will take over should the primary fail. This
sentence compromises 100% of the configuration we do for stack members
greater than #1.

If any switch fails, the next one to take over administrative duties
will assume the IP address assigned to the first switch. All switches
synch and memorize the entire configuration.

jk

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (hktco) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Perhaps some same config code would be nice here. Do you mean that I
> can/should config 3 IP addresses for each switch, plus 1 extra IP
> address for the entire stack, if let's say I have 3 switches in the
> stack?
>
> hktco
>
> "Brian V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> > "Amy L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > Several doc references that when stacking 3750's that the IP address
> > > used for the stack will be different than the IP Addresses assigned to
> > > the switches in the stack. However, I have been unsucessful in
> > > finding out what the command from the docs would be to configure the
> > > stack ip address.
> > >
> > > Any help would be appreciated.
> > > Thanks
> > > Amy.

> > Each switch gets it's own IP address. The Stack Master switch (which you can
> > select/assign) will be the IP address that you manage the entire stack by.
> >
> > -Brian

Ben

We use the Gige on the 2nd stack to uplink to a second router for splitting
load and redundancy. In this case there is an ip address on each stack
member

news:(E-Mail Removed) m...