Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Command line option -Q (floor division)

Command line option -Q (floor division)

Christoph Zwerschke

I noticed that contrary to what is said in
http://www.python.org/doc/2.2.3/whatsnew/node7.html,
namely that integer divison should print deprecation
warnings beginning with Python 2.3, even Python 2.4
is still quiet about it, i.e. you still need to explicitely
set the -Q warn option to see the warnings.
Is that by intent or has it simply been forgotten?

-- Christoph

Christoph Zwerschke

Just for the records, Anthony Baxter explained that this is by intent,
because it would be still too disruptive a change. The testsuite does
not even run completely with -Qnew yet. So it will be probably only
changed with Python 3.0.

-- Christoph

Georg Brandl

Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
> Just for the records, Anthony Baxter explained that this is by intent,
> because it would be still too disruptive a change. The testsuite does
> not even run completely with -Qnew yet.

Now it does, thanks for the nudge.

> So it will be probably only changed with Python 3.0.

Most certainly.

Georg