Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > New development windows, IronPython or PythonWin

New development windows, IronPython or PythonWin

Dan

Just starting to do some windows Client / Server programming. Which
would you recommend? I need to create a server to fire events and
communicate with clients over a lan. Thanks

sanxiyn@gmail.com

IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
recommend it.

Butternut squash

> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
> recommend it.

But it's so cool.

Casey Hawthorne

Butternut squash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
>> recommend it.

>But it's so cool.

It's cool to have bugs?

That really BUGS ME!
--
Regards,
Casey

Jorge Godoy

Casey Hawthorne <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Butternut squash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
>>> recommend it.

>>But it's so cool.

> It's cool to have bugs?
>
> That really BUGS ME!

You're cool!

--
Jorge Godoy <(E-Mail Removed)>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

Dan

>> IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
>> recommend it.

I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

Caleb Hattingh

Hi Dan

Pythonwin just adds support for specifically MS Windows features, most
prominently COM; writing Excel scripts in python is so cool. The
standard python distribution for windows runs perfectly on windows.
I'm not sure whether this was clear to you or not. Also, Thomas
ctypes and comtypes (by Thomas(?) Heller) also allow COM integration,
though I don't think it is as complete as the pythonwin support.

Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

rgds
Caleb

Bruno Desthuilliers

Dan a crit :
>>>IronPython is currently nowhere near production quality. I would not
>>>recommend it.

> I realise its in beta. But long term, do you think that the win32com,
> win32gui etc... will have no support because everyone jumps on the
> Microsoft bandwagon? Aren't the windows support extensions supported
> primarily by one guy, Mark Hammond? As a developer, this seams to leave
> me with a vulnerability long term. Thanks for the advise.

Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

Just my cents...

sanxiyn@gmail.com

Bruno Desthuilliers wrote:

> Well, from what we've seen so far, I'd rather rely on open source
> software than on proprietary one. An oss project lives as long as
> someone is willing to maintain it, and anyone can pick it up. And I
> wouldn't count on "every one jumping on MS wagon" neither.

I find this comment curious, as IronPython *is* an open source
software.
Even if Microsoft is to stop its development today, anyone can pick up
the
source and continue.

Seo Sanghyeon

sanxiyn@gmail.com

Caleb Hattingh wrote:
> Also, I think IronPython is also supported by only one guy - Jim
> Hugunin. The fact that IronPython development is effectively being
> sponsored by Microsoft doesn't fill me with great expectations either,
> although it would be a good thing if they really supported it well.

This is not completely true. IronPython is developed by the IronPython
team in Microsoft, not only by Jim Hugunin. From the IronPython mailing
list, at least following Microsoft employees are working on IronPython:
Jim Hugunin, Dino Viehland, Martin Maly, Haibo Luo.

Seo Sanghyeon