Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Debugger / IDE ??

Python Debugger / IDE ??

krypto.wizard@gmail.com

Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
like that.

I like SPE but couldn't easily use winPDP. I need tips to debug my code
easily.

Every help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

olsongt@verizon.net

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
> has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
> like that.
>
> I like SPE but couldn't easily use winPDP. I need tips to debug my code
> easily.
>
> Every help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I've always been happy with the debugger in PythonWin. You can even
use:

from pywin.debugger import set_trace;set_trace()

to bring up the debugger directly from a script that wasn't originally
run in the ide.

danmcleran@yahoo.com

>Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
>has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
>like that.

I've been using Eclipse with PyDev and am very happy with it.

Rene Pijlman

>Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
>has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
>like that.

Here's a recent thread about IDEs:
http://groups.google.nl/group/comp.l...9604e225252ad4

--
Renť Pijlman

Scott David Daniels

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
> has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
> like that.
>
> I like SPE but couldn't easily use winPDP. I need tips to debug my code
> easily.
>
> Every help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

If you don't mind spending (not so much) money, ActiveState's Komodo
is a nice debugger. With it you can even debug a Python program on
a remote machine over a network connection (ideal for GUI problems).

--Scott David Daniels
(E-Mail Removed)

bruno at modulix

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
> has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
> like that.
>
> I like SPE but couldn't easily use winPDP. I need tips to debug my code
> easily.

pythonic "debugging" in three steps:

1/ unit tests
2/ a bunch of print statements
3/ the interactive python shell

All this relying on well-decoupled, modular code.

FWIW, I've almost never used a debugger with Python.

HTH
--
bruno desthuilliers
p in '(E-Mail Removed)'.split('@')])"

krypto.wizard@gmail.com

My code has got big and it is an iterative program. I use print
statements but I thought I could get something handy it would be useful
to me.

thanks

Larry Bates

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
> has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
> like that.
>
> I like SPE but couldn't easily use winPDP. I need tips to debug my code
> easily.
>
> Every help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks

I've found that using logging works well for me. I put statements in
my program that log information, trace, intermediate results, ..., and
wrap them in trace/debug if statements. Higher values of debug get more
"stuff" logged. Then I leave everything in the program. When something
goes wrong, run it with debug level and I can figure out what is
happening. This is especially good when problem pops up 2 years from
now. I just have client run with debug=4 and I look at the logfile. If
you get in a habit of writing ALL your software this way, you find that
it is quite powerful and easy. I haven't found the overhead of all the
if statements to be anything to worry about. You can use the standard
library logging module (I wrote my own before it was available and I've
never changed to the one in the standard library).

-Larry Bates

Felipe Almeida Lessa

Em Ter, 2006-03-14 √*s 09:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) escreveu:
> >Is there any editor or IDE in Python (either Windows or Linux) which
> >has very good debugging facilites like MS VisualStudio has or something
> >like that.

> I've been using Eclipse with PyDev and am very happy with it.

I second that. It's the best Python IDE I've ever used. But you won't
get too far with less than 512 MiB of RAM...

--
"Quem excele em empregar a força militar subjulga os exércitos dos
outros povos sem travar batalha, toma cidades fortificadas dos outros

-- Sun Tzu, em "A arte da guerra"

jean-michel bain-cornu

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I've always been happy with the debugger in PythonWin. You can even
> use:
>
> from pywin.debugger import set_trace;set_trace()
>
> to bring up the debugger directly from a script that wasn't originally
> run in the ide.

I use that one also.
There is also Boa (http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/), available
both in Linux and Windows, and with the avantage of having a separate
process for the debugging unit, which is great when you have to explore
some unsane scripts.
Regards
jm