Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

invitro81

Hello

I've recently learnt python and I do love it! I congratulate all those
geeks who produce this nice language; well, because I could be called a
nearby newbee I've decided to improve my abilities by writing my own
nice editor with python; so I've to choose among all those GUI toolkit's
available there..

But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
why? Is it the best available one or are theire other reasons? I read
also a litte about wxpython and pygtk.. both are appealing to me but
again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
qt (which I also like..)?

* Which one is the most fun to program with?
* Which one is the most easy to learn?
* Which one looks best?
* Which one is the most productive to program with?

Cell

invitro81 schreef:

> Hello
>
> I've recently learnt python and I do love it! I congratulate all those
> geeks who produce this nice language; well, because I could be called a
> nearby newbee I've decided to improve my abilities by writing my own
> nice editor with python; so I've to choose among all those GUI toolkit's
> available there..
>
> But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
> tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
> why? Is it the best available one or are theire other reasons? I read
> also a litte about wxpython and pygtk.. both are appealing to me but
> again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
> is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
> qt (which I also like..)?
>
> * Which one is the most fun to program with?
> * Which one is the most easy to learn?
> * Which one looks best?
> * Which one is the most productive to program with?

Read this http://wxpython.org/quotes.php

Peter Decker

On 3/10/06, invitro81 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
> tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
> why? Is it the best available one or are theire other reasons? I read
> also a litte about wxpython and pygtk.. both are appealing to me but
> again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
> is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
> qt (which I also like..)?
>
> * Which one is the most fun to program with?
> * Which one is the most easy to learn?
> * Which one looks best?
> * Which one is the most productive to program with?

GUI toolkits are not simple things to be productive with. Most people
I know tried out a few briefly, found one that fit their needs and/or
programming style better, and then adopted that as their choice. Given
the complexity of GUIs in general, developers tend to be 'fluent' in
one at a time - it's just too much to remember when switching between
different kits.

So most of the answers you get will invariably be tilted toward the
choice that an individual made. Their reasons for that choice may not
be the same as your reasons, so my advice to you would be to check
them all out for a few hours apiece, and make a choice based on your
impressions.

Having said that, my choice for UI toolkit is wxPython, based on its
use of native controls on all platforms. I disliked the syntax it
inherited from wxWidgets, the C++ project it is based on, but then I
found Dabo, whose UI layer wraps wxPython, giving you all the power
and beauty of wxPython, with none of the ugliness.
--

# p.d.

Eric Brunel

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:36:18 +0100, invitro81 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've recently learnt python and I do love it! I congratulate all those
> geeks who produce this nice language; well, because I could be called a
> nearby newbee I've decided to improve my abilities by writing my own
> nice editor with python; so I've to choose among all those GUI toolkit's
> available there..
>
> But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
> tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
> why? Is it the best available one or are theire other reasons? I read
> also a litte about wxpython and pygtk.. both are appealing to me but
> again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
> is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
> qt (which I also like..)?
>
> * Which one is the most fun to program with?
> * Which one is the most easy to learn?
> * Which one looks best?
> * Which one is the most productive to program with?

It all depends on what features are the most important for you. Here is
some help to answer the question yourself:
http://www.awaretek.com/toolkits.html

HTH
'U(17zX(%,5.zmz5(17;8(%,5.Z65\'*9--56l7+-'])"

Thomas Guettler

Am Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:36:18 +0100 schrieb invitro81:

> Hello
>
> I've recently learnt python and I do love it! I congratulate all those
> geeks who produce this nice language; well, because I could be called a
> nearby newbee I've decided to improve my abilities by writing my own
> nice editor with python; so I've to choose among all those GUI toolkit's
> available there..
>
> But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
> tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
> why?

No, tkinter is not the standard. It is justed part of the standard
library.

Here is what I think:

tkinter (or better TK) has no good table widget.

The licence for QT is GPL, this means you cannot use it in commercial
application. That is why I never looked at it.

wx is better than tkinter. But it is big and there are too many
layers: WxPython -> WxWidgets -> gtk
I tried some examples, but it didn't "feel" good.

Now I use pygtk. I code everything, I don't used glade or something
like this.

HTH,
Thomas

--
Thomas GŁttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/
Spam Catcher: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Sybren Stuvel

Thomas Guettler enlightened us with:
> The licence for QT is GPL, this means you cannot use it in
> commercial application. That is why I never looked at it.

Ehmm... from their website:

The Qt Commercial License is the correct license to use for the
construction of proprietary, commercial software. The license allows
you to:
- Build commercial software and software whose source code you
wish to keep private.
- Freely choose licensing for the software you are writing
(Proprietary, Open Source or both).
- Be able to gain access to Qt Solutions, Trolltech support and
commercial-only Qt components such as commercial database
drivers and the Visual Studio Integration on Windows.

Sybren
Frank Zappa

Cameron Laird

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Thomas Guettler <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
.
.
.
>tkinter (or better TK) has no good table widget.

.
.
.

There are others, even, if that matters.

Alan Franzoni

invitro81 on comp.lang.python said:

> again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking pyqt
> is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing policy for
> qt (which I also like..)?
>
> * Which one is the most fun to program with?
> * Which one is the most easy to learn?
> * Which one looks best?
> * Which one is the most productive to program with?

Those are all hard questions. You might as well have asked 'which is the
best web framework'. It's not easy to tell ^_^ It highly depends on which
tasks you're aiming at.

wxPython is a pretty good 'all-round' and cross-platform library, and
includes some non-graphical features. It's got a drawback: it's a wrapper
for the wxwidgets library, and hence it's not very pythonic; you can solve
part of its unpythonicness using wax, which is not very well documented at
the time. wxGlade can be used to design GUI apps with little effort.

pyGTK works well, too. Recent versions perform well and are good looking on
Windows systems as well as Linux and Macs (if you provide an X server).
It's very well documented (better than wxPython, in my opinion) and its
license is quite permissive. It's unpythonic just like wxPython. Glade and
Gazpacho can be used to design GUI apps in a visual way.

pyGUI is a pyGTK-based graphic library which is designed from scratch to be
pythonic. It seems very, very promising but I can't tell you if it's
production-stable since I've tested it just a couple of times. It may be
the funniest and more productive toolkit ever.

FLTK was interesting but seems to lack maintenance and support, pyQT is a
bit 'unfree' for most uses. Tkinter is quite old stuff.

--
Alan Franzoni <(E-Mail Removed)>
-

David Boddie

Alan Franzoni wrote:

> FLTK was interesting but seems to lack maintenance and support,

Looking at the News section of the project's home page, I can see
that updates were few and far between in 2004 and 2005, but the
action seems to have picked up again since:

http://pyfltk.sourceforge.net/#news

> pyQT is a bit 'unfree' for most uses.

"Unfree" as in the opposite of freedom, or "unfree" as in the price of
beer?

PyQt for Qt 3 is available under the GNU General Public License on
Mac OS X and Linux. Since Qt 4 can be used under the GPL on all
platforms, you'll even be able to write software on Windows with PyQt4
that's licensed under a GPL-compatible license.

FAQ: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/faq.php
Roadmap: http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/roadmap.php

> Tkinter is quite old stuff.

But actively supported and promoted:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter

And I'm sure there are plenty of other solutions that deserve to be
mentioned:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/GuiProgramming

David

Michael Ekstrand

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 00:07:52 +0100
Alan Franzoni <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > again to make a choice is difficult; is there also some guy liking
> > pyqt is it worse or should it be avoided because of the licencing
> > policy for qt (which I also like..)?
> >
> > * Which one is the most fun to program with?
> > * Which one is the most easy to learn?
> > * Which one looks best?
> > * Which one is the most productive to program with?

> wxPython is a pretty good 'all-round' and cross-platform library, and
> includes some non-graphical features. It's got a drawback: it's a
> wrapper for the wxwidgets library, and hence it's not very pythonic;
> you can solve part of its unpythonicness using wax, which is not very
> well documented at the time. wxGlade can be used to design GUI apps
> with little effort.
>
> pyGTK works well, too. Recent versions perform well and are good
> looking on Windows systems as well as Linux and Macs (if you provide
> an X server). It's very well documented (better than wxPython, in my
> opinion) and its license is quite permissive. It's unpythonic just
> like wxPython. Glade and Gazpacho can be used to design GUI apps in a
> visual way.

I'll throw my two cents in here now.

I've used both wxPython and PyGTK. I find wxPython to be horribly
un-pythonic; combining that some problems on the Mac, and some
other installation/environment issues, I ditched it for PyGTK.

I find PyGTK to be very natural, and actually highly Pythonic. So much
of its design just makes sense. And GTK provides a lot of nice things,
and is itself incredibly versitle (the places you can put odd
widgets...). I've found myself to be more productive with GTK (both
PyGTK and GTKmm) than with any other system I've used (with the
possible exception of web interfaces).

- Michael

--
mouse, n: a device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.
-- Fortune

[Gui] Which GUI is available with Ruby? Flaab Mrlinux Ruby 3 11-15-2006 11:44 PM
Which GUI toolkit in Ubuntu? pesachzon Ruby 4 02-18-2006 10:17 PM
Which gui toolkit to use? Matthew Huggett Ruby 0 04-11-2005 07:23 AM
which gui toolkit Gandhi Ruby 17 01-18-2005 05:24 PM
GUI toolkit which separates UI specification from driving logic Gavri Fernandez Ruby 6 01-02-2005 07:30 PM

Advertisments