Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python Evangelism

Python Evangelism

Steve Holden

I've been thinking (and blogging) about python evangelism since PyCon,
as a result of which I created a squidoo lens:

http://www.squidoo.com/pythonlogy

Imagine my surprise at discovering that this has gone up in rank (by
number of views) from # 442,000 or so to #153! Clearly there's some
mileage in marketing Python, and I'd like to keep the buzz going if it
means more people will adopt the language.

Any suggestions for improvement?

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd www.holdenweb.com

Just

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Steve Holden <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been thinking (and blogging) about python evangelism since PyCon,
> as a result of which I created a squidoo lens:
>
> http://www.squidoo.com/pythonlogy
>
> Imagine my surprise at discovering that this has gone up in rank (by
> number of views) from # 442,000 or so to #153! Clearly there's some
> mileage in marketing Python, and I'd like to keep the buzz going if it
> means more people will adopt the language.
>
> Any suggestions for improvement?

Yeah, the URL:

http://www.squidoo.com/pythonology

Just

Gerard Flanagan

Steve Holden wrote:
> I've been thinking (and blogging) about python evangelism since PyCon,
> as a result of which I created a squidoo lens:
>
> http://www.squidoo.com/pythonlogy
>
> Imagine my surprise at discovering that this has gone up in rank (by
> number of views) from # 442,000 or so to #153! Clearly there's some
> mileage in marketing Python, and I'd like to keep the buzz going if it
> means more people will adopt the language.
>
> Any suggestions for improvement?

'-nology' not '-nlogy' in the link.

I like the 'What's Happening on Planet Python' section - I find the
planetpython.org gives too much of an intro to the pages it links to. A
line or too, as in the lens site, would be preferable in my view.
Just a thought - would a similar section be suitable for 'python.org'
main page?

Gerard

Steve Holden

Doug Bromley wrote:
> Python is in desperate need of marketing and I don't think its new site
> will help it.
> The Ruby community has a fanaticism we could learn from and its going
> some way to 'converting' me. The community is alive, growing, shouting
> from the roof tops while the Python community seems to sit in its ivory
> towers conducting research and corporate development in
> 'forward-thinking' companies such as Google.

OK, and this post will improve the situation how, exactly?

> I can see Ruby overtaking Python if we don't ALL do something about it.

Indeed. Hence http://www.squidoo.com/pythonology

And your contribution is ... yet another post about how we all need to
*do* something? On the other hand, you could just roll up your sleeves
and start doing something

Your take on Python is likely unique: start telling people why *you* use it.

regards
Steve

> On 9 Mar 2006 02:43:53 -0800, *Gerard Flanagan* < http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
> <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:
>
> Steve Holden wrote:
> > I've been thinking (and blogging) about python evangelism since

> PyCon,
> > as a result of which I created a squidoo lens:
> >
> > http://www.squidoo.com/pythonlogy
> >
> > Imagine my surprise at discovering that this has gone up in rank (by
> > number of views) from # 442,000 or so to #153! Clearly there's some
> > mileage in marketing Python, and I'd like to keep the buzz going

> if it
> > means more people will adopt the language.
> >
> > Any suggestions for improvement?
> >

> '-nology' not '-nlogy' in the link.
>
> I like the 'What's Happening on Planet Python' section - I find the
> planetpython.org <http://planetpython.org> gives too much of an
> intro to the pages it links to. A
> line or too, as in the lens site, would be preferable in my view.
> Just a thought - would a similar section be suitable for 'python.org
> <http://python.org>'
> main page?
>
> Gerard

By the way, the apparent increase in rank was somewhat bogus given that
there appear to be fewer than 20,000 lenses at present
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC/Ltd www.holdenweb.com
Love me, love my blog holdenweb.blogspot.com

rtilley

Steve Holden wrote:
> Doug Bromley wrote:
>> I can see Ruby overtaking Python if we don't ALL do something about it.

I think it's the name. Python. Let's change it to something nicer. Think
about it... if you found a Ruby, you'd pick it up and put it in your
pocket. If you ran across a Python, you'd run away.

Gems is nice too. Compare that to Cheese Shop... who came up with that
Do you want a pretty gem stone or a smelly slice of cheese? I mean
that in a literal sense. I don't think Python is smelly at all, but it
certainly has chosen some slimy, smelly bad names for itself!

Psychology is important. Just as important as good design. I think this
fact doesn't sink in to the Python community.

Fredrik Lundh

Doug Bromley wrote:

> I can see Ruby overtaking Python if we don't ALL do something about it.

on the other hand, people have posted "I can see XXX overtaking Python if we
don't ALL do something about it NOW" messages for as long as I've been using
Python.

the best thing I've seen in the recent "argh! this is the end" threads that have been
popping up here and there is this advice from an anonymous ruby user, from a
comment on guido's blog:

My advice for you Pythonistas: First, chill; the mind works better when
relaxed. Second, look around and count your blessings; Python is every-
where. Third, just work on something you find interesting and fun.

have you used Python to work on something fun and interesting today? if not, what's
your excuse?

</F>

Dale Strickland-Clark

rtilley wrote:

> Psychology is important. Just as important as good design. I think this
> fact doesn't sink in to the Python community.

You speak of fluff and ribbons and glitter.

I think most people here are less concerned with psychology and more
interested in pychology.
--
Dale Strickland-Clark
Riverhall Systems www.riverhall.co.uk

Dale Strickland-Clark

Steve Holden wrote:

> Any suggestions for improvement?
>
> regards
> Steve

Get rid of the scarey face?

--

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote:
> rtilley wrote:
>

>>Psychology is important. Just as important as good design. I think this
>>fact doesn't sink in to the Python community.

> You speak of fluff and ribbons and glitter.

Yes, I know. Great products, ideas and methods have lost mind share to
lesser things (not that Ruby is inferior to Python or vice versa)
because they lack fluff, ribbons and glitter

I hope Python gets more fluff... it already has lost of great technical
merit

Andrew Gwozdziewycz

On 3/9/06, rtilley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Doug Bromley wrote:
> >> I can see Ruby overtaking Python if we don't ALL do something about it..

> I think it's the name. Python. Let's change it to something nicer. Think
> about it... if you found a Ruby, you'd pick it up and put it in your
> pocket. If you ran across a Python, you'd run away.

Woah, are you actually serious? What would changing the name of language you're
trying to market do for the marketing campaign? New to the YAMMA language? Check
out all these other Python tutorials to get started. I don't think
it's the name, I think the
major problem is people saying, "What can we do to market it?" and not
actually doing
anything, as Steven just said. Work on something. Create something popular. Heck
promote django or some other framework. Work on some new innovative technology
in python! Just choose python and recommend it to others. Word of mouth, Quality
projects and not claiming "we need new marketing strategies" _IS_ the
best marketing
strategy.

> Gems is nice too. Compare that to Cheese Shop... who came up with that
> Do you want a pretty gem stone or a smelly slice of cheese? I mean
> that in a literal sense. I don't think Python is smelly at all, but it
> certainly has chosen some slimy, smelly bad names for itself!

While I agree, that gem is nice and python needs a new standard
package management
system, maybe that's your contribution! Build it! Make it awesome!

> Psychology is important. Just as important as good design. I think this
> fact doesn't sink in to the Python community.

Pyschology _is_ important, but not in this case. Make good products
and they will
come. Python has a ton of good projects and a ton of users. What we
don't have is
ruby on rails and the web 2.0 crowd, and I say, who the hell cares? We
have everything
else.

--
Andrew Gwozdziewycz <(E-Mail Removed)>