Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Trunking between 5500 and 2916

Trunking between 5500 and 2916

James Angove

Right now, I have a network consisting of 1 3640 router, and 1 2916 switch
with one 4 port faste expansion module. The 2916 achieves greater port
density by assigning 10 of the sixteen stock fa ports to a single vlan and
pushing it out to unmanaged linksys switches.

I'm trying to remove that 2916 out of the network in a completely no
disruptive manner, and replace it with a single 5513 switch.

I'm having a huge amount of difficulty achieving trunking between the two
devices; I get a trunk established, but it doesn't seem to move vlan data
-- devices plugged into the switch don't talk to the network. (I'm also
having a hell of a time getting the management interface on the switch to
work).

Suggestions of any kind would very, very welcome.

--
James Angove

Ben

There's not enough information here to answer this. It depends on the exact
topology and other details.

Spanning tree is the obvious thing that comes to mind. Some ports may be in
a blocking state as you have made a bridging loop.