Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Not broadcasting SSID...

Not broadcasting SSID...

Joe Bob

For a plain 1100 series AP, I am trying to not broadcast the SSID.
Per

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...9.html#2354378

I simply configure the ssid to no guest mode, so my final config looks
similar to this...

int dot11radio0
no ip address
no ip route-cache
!
ssid testcase
auth open
!

However, when I do this and go back to my notebook (I've tried 3x
notebooks w/3x wireless cards, all known to be good) and configure
them, the 'testcase'
ssid appears in the prefered networks (wireless network properties),
but never in avail networks. I add 'guest mode' to my script, wr mem,
reload, and then on the notebooks it appears in the prefered and
available networks.

Any ideas if this is a config issue in regards to the AP or the
notebooks? If so, any suggestion how to be able to connect to my
network AP thats not broadcasting its SSID?

Thanks,

Brian V

My experience with it is that it only works with Cisco cards using the Cisco
ACU

"Joe Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> For a plain 1100 series AP, I am trying to not broadcast the SSID.
> Per
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...9.html#2354378
>
> I simply configure the ssid to no guest mode, so my final config looks
> similar to this...
>
> int dot11radio0
> no ip address
> no ip route-cache
> !
> ssid testcase
> auth open
> !
>
> However, when I do this and go back to my notebook (I've tried 3x
> notebooks w/3x wireless cards, all known to be good) and configure
> them, the 'testcase'
> ssid appears in the prefered networks (wireless network properties),
> but never in avail networks. I add 'guest mode' to my script, wr mem,
> reload, and then on the notebooks it appears in the prefered and
> available networks.
>
> Any ideas if this is a config issue in regards to the AP or the
> notebooks? If so, any suggestion how to be able to connect to my
> network AP thats not broadcasting its SSID?
>
> Thanks,
> (E-Mail Removed)

Joe Bob

Turns out I was doing everything right except I wasn't patient enough.

I walked away, came back about 20 minutes later, and it associated
with the WAP in question. I happened to come back with a co-worker
who had his notebook, and it took his notebook about 1 minute to find
the WAP and associate with it.