Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Papers on Dynamic Languages

Papers on Dynamic Languages

Paul Boddie

Jay Parlar wrote:

> Anyway, I want to talk about things like typing disciplines (weak,
> strong, etc.),"class vs. prototype, JIT technologies in dynamic
> languages, interactive interpreters, etc.

There are a few classic papers on a number of these topics, but I'll
leave it to the papers mentioned below to provide references.

> I've got Brett Cannon's thesis already, but I'm looking for references
> to some more papers on these topics. A Python basis for any of the
> papers would be preferred, but anything will do.
>
> Any suggestions? This is my first real research paper in grad school,
> so I'm starting out from scratch here.

I'd have a look at the following Python-related papers:

Michael Salib's Starkiller paper (and presentation):
http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/1/

Mark Dufour's ShedSkin paper:
http://kascade.org/optimizing_python.pdf

John Aycock's "Aggressive Type Inference" paper:
http://www.python.org/workshops/2000...ck/aycock.html

I also provided a fair number of references in the following thread:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/com...98317bdf96efda

I hope this is of use!

Paul

Jay Parlar

For one of my grad school classes, I'm writing a paper on "Dynamic
Languages". What a wonderfully vague topic (but at least it'll let me
write about Python).

Anyway, I want to talk about things like typing disciplines (weak,
strong, etc.),"class vs. prototype, JIT technologies in dynamic
languages, interactive interpreters, etc.

I've got Brett Cannon's thesis already, but I'm looking for references
to some more papers on these topics. A Python basis for any of the
papers would be preferred, but anything will do.

Any suggestions? This is my first real research paper in grad school,
so I'm starting out from scratch here.

Jay P.