Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Q: Redundant Internet with two routers ?

Q: Redundant Internet with two routers ?

Martin Bilgrav

Hi NG,

I know that this issue, has been open before, and I am 100% clear about RIPE
c-net IP range and private AS number for BGP.
I have been assigned this allready.
My question is about doing this with two router, each holding a ISP internet
link.

Presently the same ISP is providing the two links, but in future one link
may come from another ISP.

Senario:
I have two locations, which have layer-2 connectivity, via two C6500 and
fibers. So I trunk between the two sites, giving me VLANs on both sites.
This is running allready.

Later on I will have:
One router will be installed on each site. (one ISP link goes into each
router on the sites)
A redundant PIX setup will be installed with ethernetbased failover, aswell
as a redundant VPN3030 running VRRP.
One VPN on each sites. VPN is behind the PIX.
I have VLANs for all PIX interfaces on each site.

The big Q is then, what is the optimal setup when it comes to both redundacy
AND using loadsharing between the two ISP links ?
Both inbound and outbound connectivity ?

I plan at doing BGP upstream with both routers, for inbound redundancy, but
how about the outbound loadsharing ?
Can loadsharing be done for inbound aswell ?
The PIX can run OSPF on the outside, but is this "wise" ?

Please comment and/or pop some ideas up for debate.
Please back your opion up with reason and/or URLs

Kind regards
Martin Bilgrav

Martin Bilgrav

no-one has any inputs ??

news:41528906$0$13819$(E-Mail Removed) ...