Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Difference between Interface GBIC and GigaEthernet

Difference between Interface GBIC and GigaEthernet

ns

Hi all,

Can you tell me what is difference or the best between :

- Catalyst 2950 (or other) with 2 ports GigaEthernet (RJ45 port)
- Catalyst 2950 (or other) with 2 ports GBIC (optical fibre)

Thank You very much

Best Regards
NS

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ns <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:Can you tell me what is difference or the best between :

:- Catalyst 2950 (or other) with 2 ports GigaEthernet (RJ45 port)
:- Catalyst 2950 (or other) with 2 ports GBIC (optical fibre)

RJ45 is used for short-distance gigabit ethernet over Cat5/Cat5e
twisted pair cables. This is not the same as HSSDC copper gigabit
ethernet, which uses a different connector and has different
distance limitations.

GBIC is a slot for interchangable media adapters. You are not restricted
to optical with GBIC slots: you can get copper TX and copper HSSDC
media convertors as well. You are also not restricted to short-distance
multimode (SX): you can get long distance (LX/LH) single-mode and
very long distance (ZX) adapters as well.

GBIC slots are more flexible, but you have to buy the media convertors,
which are only "inexpensive" for SX (short distance multimode), and
cant get quite expensive for some of the other convertors. And if you
have to connect a bunch of slots, the price can really add up.

The RJ45 ports take standard CAT5 cable, just like you probably
already have lying around. However, you do not get to go particularily
far, and you have no flexibility as to which media you use on which
port.

There is another connector you should know about, which is the SFIP,
which stands for something like "small form interface processor".
SFIP are similar in principle to GBIC, but are smaller, and there
are not as many varieties of SFIP or manufacturers of them.
--
Ceci, ce n'est pas une idée.

ns

Thanks a lot Walter for your quick and very best reponse.

So, i understund that i can use VTP, TRUNK, VLAN... and all others Cisco
function (and protocol) on the GigaEthernet interface as i use it on the
GBIC Interface ?

So, it's juste question of flexibility and distance ?

Thank You very much !!

Best Regards
NS

news:citvhe$daj$(E-Mail Removed)...