Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Switch IGMP subscription delays

Switch IGMP subscription delays

Marc Leeman

We have a Catalyst 3550 (12.1(2))switch and the following setup:

Several embedded GNU/Linux systems (busybox/2.4.27) are connected directly
to the switch. One of these systems is connected to a hub, which is in
turn connected to the same switch. The hub is not connected to the
multicast clients, but has several other (non IGMP based) connections.

When everything is reset (reboot), the systems connected directly to the
switch can take up to 60" to get subscripted to a Multicast address,
while the system connected via the hub, synchronises much faster.

Does anyone have an idea what this might be or if this is actually
caused by the switch?

--
Marc Leeman

Andrey Tarasov

Hello, Marc!
You wrote on 22 Sep 2004 08:08:24 GMT:

ML> We have a Catalyst 3550 (12.1(2))switch and the following setup:

ML> Several embedded GNU/Linux systems (busybox/2.4.27) are connected
ML> directly to the switch. One of these systems is connected to a
ML> hub, which is in turn connected to the same switch. The hub is
ML> not connected to the multicast clients, but has several other
ML> (non IGMP based) connections.

ML> When everything is reset (reboot), the systems connected directly
ML> to the switch can take up to 60" to get subscripted to a
ML> Multicast address, while the system connected via the hub,
ML> synchronises much faster.

ML> Does anyone have an idea what this might be or if this is
ML> actually caused by the switch?

Do you have portfast enabled on switch ports?

With best regards,
Andrey.

Marc Leeman

> Do you have portfast enabled on switch ports?

Hang, this was the thing I forgot to mention in my previous post. Yes,
we have enabled portfast.