Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > How to Mount/Unmount Drives on Windows?

How to Mount/Unmount Drives on Windows?

dpickles@pacbell.net

Hello,

I am creating a simple application that will reside in the Windows
system tray. The purpose of the program is to mount or unmount external
hard drives or flash memory devices, and to set their default states
(ie mounted or unmounted) at startup.

I do not know how to mount or unmount drives on Windows. I think that
it could possibly be done with a DOS command (using os.system()).

Thank you for any information you may have.

shearichard@gmail.com

This looks like it might help you ...

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311272

.... although the blurb does say "DevCon is not redistributable. It is
provided for use as a debugging and development tool".

There is an article about it at ...

http://tinyurl.com/4kb8m

regards

richard.

Christos Georgiou

On 25 Feb 2006 18:06:15 -0800, rumours say that http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) might
have written:

>Hello,

<snip>

>I do not know how to mount or unmount drives on Windows. I think that
>it could possibly be done with a DOS command (using os.system()).

mountvol is the command you want. I know it's in winxp, I think it was in
win2k too.

Check the Windows Help for its usage.

PS another command that is most useful is netsh, especially for laptops.
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best.
"Dear Paul,

dpickles@pacbell.net

thank you!
devcon was a little more than I needed, and I couldn't get it to work
for how I wanted to use it. I will try mountvol. If it has an argument
to unmount a volume as well, then it will fit the bill perfectly.