Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: commenting out blocks of code

Re: commenting out blocks of code

Jean-Paul Calderone

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 12:36:06 +1100, Steven D'Aprano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>Commenting and uncommenting should be two different commands: the whole
>point of nested comments is that it allows you to comment a block of text
>which may already contain comments. Having one command do both commenting
>and uncommenting according to the presence or absence of semantic clues in
>the text is a recipe for failure ("No you stupid computer, I want to
>COMMENT that block, not uncomment it!!!").
>
>Imagine if your text editor used cntl-C for both copy and paste, somehow
>guessing whether you wanted to copy selected text or paste over it
>according to some subtle clue in the text itself. Wouldn't that be fun?

emacs' comment-dwim (M- has never guessed incorrectly, in my experience. Of course, if it ever does, I can always invoke comment-region or uncomment-region, as appropriate.