Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Catalyst 2950 Amber light question

Catalyst 2950 Amber light question

John

Hello gang:

The other day, I was rewiring something and I noticed an amber light
in one port of my 2950, after investigating I found out that it
stopped forwarding because maybe it detected a loop and disabled by
STP?

Anyway, it brought down that port and activated the one new cable I
plugged in. The network went down for a little bit then came up, I
suppose it was now using the new cable.

Is there a way to overcome this? I don't want to bring the network
down just because the Catalyst detected a loop in the network, maybe
if it sees two links to the same upstream hub, it shoud load balance?

Any help, suggestion, education is greatly appreciated!

TIA

J.

Buzz Lightbeer

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello gang:
>
> The other day, I was rewiring something and I noticed an amber light
> in one port of my 2950, after investigating I found out that it
> stopped forwarding because maybe it detected a loop and disabled by
> STP?
>
> Anyway, it brought down that port and activated the one new cable I
> plugged in. The network went down for a little bit then came up, I
> suppose it was now using the new cable.
>
> Is there a way to overcome this? I don't want to bring the network
> down just because the Catalyst detected a loop in the network, maybe
> if it sees two links to the same upstream hub, it shoud load balance?
>
> Any help, suggestion, education is greatly appreciated!
>
> TIA
>
> J.

Spanning tree is supposed to work this way... if you want 2 physical links
between switches you should channel them.

BL
--
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action. - Goethe

John Vo

"Buzz Lightbeer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4149cbfd$0$20247$(E-Mail Removed)...
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>> Hello gang:
>>
>> The other day, I was rewiring something and I noticed an amber light
>> in one port of my 2950, after investigating I found out that it
>> stopped forwarding because maybe it detected a loop and disabled by
>> STP?
>>
>> Anyway, it brought down that port and activated the one new cable I
>> plugged in. The network went down for a little bit then came up, I
>> suppose it was now using the new cable.
>>
>> Is there a way to overcome this? I don't want to bring the network
>> down just because the Catalyst detected a loop in the network, maybe
>> if it sees two links to the same upstream hub, it shoud load balance?
>>
>> Any help, suggestion, education is greatly appreciated!
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> J.

> Spanning tree is supposed to work this way... if you want 2 physical links
> between switches you should channel them.

Hi all:

Thanks for the info. I read some stuff on Cisco website about EtherChannel.
My question is: My provider is giving the pair from a "Cisco Box" will I
still
be able to do EtherChannel? does it have to be from another Catalyst Switch?

Thanks,
J.

chris@nospam.com

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 22:07:13 GMT, "John Vo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Buzz Lightbeer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4149cbfd$0$20247$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>> Hello gang:
>>>
>>> The other day, I was rewiring something and I noticed an amber light
>>> in one port of my 2950, after investigating I found out that it
>>> stopped forwarding because maybe it detected a loop and disabled by
>>> STP?

What did the log on the switch say? "show interface" or "show
spanning-tree" should give yu a give clue as well.

>>> Anyway, it brought down that port and activated the one new cable I
>>> plugged in. The network went down for a little bit then came up, I
>>> suppose it was now using the new cable.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to overcome this? I don't want to bring the network
>>> down just because the Catalyst detected a loop in the network, maybe
>>> if it sees two links to the same upstream hub, it shoud load balance?

Would you rather bring down the network for a longer period of time
due to the loop?

>>> Any help, suggestion, education is greatly appreciated!
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> J.

>> Spanning tree is supposed to work this way... if you want 2 physical links
>> between switches you should channel them.

Or if you're happy with just a redundant link, let spanning-tree do
it's job. That's what it was originally designed for. The loop
prevention was a beneficial side-effect. You might also consider
setting some of the other options so that it prefers one link over the
other and protects your uplink (rootguard). For the host connections,
spanning-tree portfast is almost essential if you run dhcp.

>Hi all:
>
>Thanks for the info. I read some stuff on Cisco website about EtherChannel.
>My question is: My provider is giving the pair from a "Cisco Box" will I
>still
>be able to do EtherChannel? does it have to be from another Catalyst Switch?

Generally, yes you'll need the same manufacturer. In your case, I
believe you can do etherchannel with most of the newer Cisco switches.
If you are trunking and using multiple vlans, you can assign specific
vlans to each trunk.