Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > what's wrong with my popen reasoning?

what's wrong with my popen reasoning?

Rick Spencer

Hi all,

I am very new to Python programming. I am writing a program to manage
wireless connections, this is for GNOME on Linux. I present the user with
a "connect" button. I want to handle the connection for them slightly
different depending on whether or not the wireless access point they are
trying to connect to is secure. In either case, I have a similar question.

In the first case, the wireless access point is secured. I want to bring
up the GNOME applet for configuring a wireless access interface. I can
pass the command line commands to bring it up, but I can't figure out how
to bring it up in a modal fashion, so that my Python program waits for the
user to dismiss it before my program gets control again.

In the second case, the access point is not secured. I just want to fire
off the command line utility (iwconfig) for connecting. In this case, I
want my program to wait until iwconfig is done before continuing on. I
figure that I could just write a line of code to read in from the console,
but I thought there might be a more pythonic way of doing it.

Here's my function so far, with variables replaced with constants to make
it easier to read:

def connect_clicked(self, widget, data=None):
if locked:
os.popen("sudo network-admin -c ath0")
self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")

else:
os.popen("sudo iwconfig ath0 ap 00:0F:B3:31:CB:01")
self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")

Thanks much!

Cheers, Rick

Rick Spencer

On Sun, 05 Feb 2006 10:39:18 -0800, Rick Spencer wrote:
<snip>

>I just want to fire
> off the command line utility (iwconfig) for connecting. In this case, I
> want my program to wait until iwconfig is done before continuing on. I
> figure that I could just write a line of code to read in from the console,
> but I thought there might be a more pythonic way of doing it.
>
> Here's my function so far, with variables replaced with constants to make
> it easier to read:
>
> def connect_clicked(self, widget, data=None):
> if locked:
> os.popen("sudo network-admin -c ath0")
> self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")
>
> else:
> os.popen("sudo iwconfig ath0 ap 00:0F:B3:31:CB:01")
> self.emit('connection-attempted', "ath0")
>
> Thanks much!
>
> Cheers, Rick

I found some python code that had the answer.

def connect_clicked(self, widget, data=None):
if self.wirelessconnection.locked:
subprocess.call(["network-admin", "-c", "ath0"])

This makes my app just wait until the network-admin process is gone.

Cheers, Rick

File.popen/IO.popen hariwise@gmail.com Ruby 1 05-20-2006 08:20 AM
Is XML Doc wrong or is Schema wrong? (or both) Matthew XML 7 01-07-2005 10:05 PM
Using popen nlmark@hotmail.com C++ 1 02-26-2004 02:06 PM
popen() equivalent Grumble C++ 3 11-26-2003 09:07 AM
Newbie Q: "Enter/Return" on popen Ming C++ 2 08-14-2003 04:17 PM

Advertisments