Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Ethertype 0x9000 (Loopback/Enet Config Test frames) on Cisco Switch (2950)

Ethertype 0x9000 (Loopback/Enet Config Test frames) on Cisco Switch (2950)

Hi all

I want to make a switch completly silent on some port, that is: the
Cisco 2950 switch doesn't have to send any packet generated by itself,
or in other words, it only has to send to that port only traffic
switched from other ports on the switch.

I'm running IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(19)EA1c,
RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

disabling vtp and stp on that port made it almost silent but still
there are some frames generated from the switch with Ethertype 0x9000.

This frames are Loopback frames (also called "Enet Config Test" in some
Cisco documentation) and I think the purpose of this frames is just test if
the link it's ok.

Is there some way to avoid the generation of this frames?

If not, is there a workaround for this?

Any comment would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Ulisses
Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso

Ben

I didn't bother checking but they might be ethernet keepalives. Try 'no
keepalive' under the interface. Also turn off any duplex/speed negotiation
by hardsetting

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ci3n73$hlo$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi all
>
> I want to make a switch completly silent on some port, that is: the
> Cisco 2950 switch doesn't have to send any packet generated by itself,
> or in other words, it only has to send to that port only traffic
> switched from other ports on the switch.
>
> I'm running IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version

12.1(19)EA1c,
> RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
>
> disabling vtp and stp on that port made it almost silent but still
> there are some frames generated from the switch with Ethertype 0x9000.
>
> This frames are Loopback frames (also called "Enet Config Test" in some
> Cisco documentation) and I think the purpose of this frames is just test

if
> the link it's ok.
>
> Is there some way to avoid the generation of this frames?
>
> If not, is there a workaround for this?
>
> Any comment would be greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Ulisses
> Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true

---