Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > [OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.

[OT] Nit: please don't user "it's" unless you can substitute "it is" without changing your inteded meaning.

Bengt Richter

Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
embarrassment (assuming you care .
If your friends won't tell you, who will

Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning
to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong

OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se?
E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that
as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it's first letter is "i" ?
And how many "it"s (?) are there in the previous sentence?

I wonder if "Eats Leaves and Shoots" (a book on punctuation) has something on that.
(vs, "Eats, Leaves, and Shoots" -- panda vs gunslinger).

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Fuzzyman

Bengt Richter wrote:
> Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
> is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
> embarrassment (assuming you care .
> If your friends won't tell you, who will

Making grammatical errors in the subject of a post on gramamtical
errors must be embarrasing.

> Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning
> to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong
>
> OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se?
> E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that
> as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it's first letter is "i" ?
> And how many "it"s (?) are there in the previous sentence?

Don't recall an answer to this one in "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

The first one is clearer :

"it"'s first letter is "i"

All the best,

Fuzzyman
http://www.voidspace.org.uk

> I wonder if "Eats Leaves and Shoots" (a book on punctuation) has something on that.
> (vs, "Eats, Leaves, and Shoots" -- panda vs gunslinger).
>
> Regards,
> Bengt Richter

Fredrik Lundh

Fuzzyman wrote:

> Making grammatical errors in the subject of a post on gramamtical
> errors must be embarrasing.

http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/lexicon....aw-corrections

</F>

Steve Holden

Fuzzyman wrote:
> Bengt Richter wrote:
>
>>Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
>>is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
>>embarrassment (assuming you care .
>>If your friends won't tell you, who will
>>

> Making grammatical errors in the subject of a post on gramamtical
> errors must be embarrasing.

Almost as *embarrassing* as making two spelling errors in one sentence
complaining about grammatical errors (though I'll charitably accept the
second one as a typo, and gladly hold my hands up to being a dreadful
committer of the typographical error myself). What grammatical errors
were you trying to point out, by the way?

>>Write the contraction "it's" only when you want its meaning
>>to be "it is," otherwise it's wrong
>>
>>OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se?
>>E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that
>>as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it's first letter is "i" ?
>>And how many "it"s (?) are there in the previous sentence?
>>

> Don't recall an answer to this one in "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".
>
> The first one is clearer :
>
> "it"'s first letter is "i"

Best of all is to eschew the unknown and adopt a phrasing that gives an
unambiguously correct answer: 'The first letter of "it" is "i"'.

regards
Steve
--
Steve Holden +44 150 684 7255 +1 800 494 3119
Holden Web LLC www.holdenweb.com

BartlebyScrivener

"The pronominal possessives hers, its, theirs, yours, and oneself have
no apostrophe."

Strunk & White, The Elements of Style. Section II.1

The Elements is a classic masterpiece of concision and lucidity, unlike
Eats, Shoots, Sells Books, and Leaves.

rpd

Fuzzyman

BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> "The pronominal possessives hers, its, theirs, yours, and oneself have
> no apostrophe."
>
> Strunk & White, The Elements of Style. Section II.1
>
> The Elements is a classic masterpiece of concision and lucidity, unlike
> Eats, Shoots, Sells Books, and Leaves.

Which is however eminently more readable, except perhaps for the
overlong introduction...

All the best,

Fuzzyman

> rpd

Peter Hansen

Bengt Richter wrote:
> Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
> is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
> embarrassment (assuming you care .
> If your friends won't tell you, who will

Maybe we can also hold forth on "which" vs. "that", proper use of "I"
versus "me" (usually the opposite of what many do), "each" vs. "all",
and when to use "whom". Also throw in the old stand-bys "they're" and
"their" and other homonyms, but consider that often the mistake is not
cause by a poor grasp of grammar but simply by writing too quickly, as
one sometimes "hears" the words incorrectly in one's mind as one types,
and then not proofreading adequately. (That's my excuse: I always catch
"their" swapped with "they're" when proofreading, but I do sometimes use
the wrong one when I write quickly.)

Of course, even the best of us make such mistakes, and holding everyone
to task for it is probably not going to help. This is a problem which
only constant and instrusive reminders would cure, and the cure would be
far worse than the disease.

> OTOH, how does one punctuate the posessive of a word per se?
> E.g., the first letter of "it" is "i", but can one write that
> as "it"'s first letter is "i," or it's first letter is "i" ?

When a construction is awkward, pick a different one. '''The first
letter of the word "it" is "i"''' should be just fine.

> I wonder if "Eats Leaves and Shoots" (a book on punctuation) has something on that.
> (vs, "Eats, Leaves, and Shoots" -- panda vs gunslinger).

Eats Shoots and Leaves: less cowardly than leaving _then_ shooting...
also the actual name of the book.

-Peter

Spellman

Fuzzyman wrote:
> BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> > "The pronominal possessives hers, its, theirs, yours, and oneself have
> > no apostrophe."
> >
> > Strunk & White, The Elements of Style. Section II.1
> >
> > The Elements is a classic masterpiece of concision and lucidity, unlike
> > Eats, Shoots, Sells Books, and Leaves.
> >

> Which is however eminently more readable, except perhaps for the
> overlong introduction...

My favorite grammar book, Patricia T. O'Conner's "Woe Is I," is
readable as well as concise and lucid. Here's how she explains it (or
rather "it's" vs. "its"): If the word you want can be replaced by "it
is," you want "it's." If not, use "its." (By the way, her chapter
titles are a hoot; the one on punctuation is called "Comma Sutra.")

Spellman

Fuzzyman wrote:
> BartlebyScrivener wrote:
> > "The pronominal possessives hers, its, theirs, yours, and oneself have
> > no apostrophe."
> >
> > Strunk & White, The Elements of Style. Section II.1
> >
> > The Elements is a classic masterpiece of concision and lucidity, unlike
> > Eats, Shoots, Sells Books, and Leaves.
> >

> Which is however eminently more readable, except perhaps for the
> overlong introduction...

My favorite grammar book, Patricia T. O'Conner's "Woe Is I," is
readable as well as concise and lucid. Here's how she explains it (or
rather "it's" vs. "its"): If the word you want can be replaced by "it
is," you want "it's." If not, use "its." (By the way, her chapter
titles are a hoot; the one on punctuation is called "Comma Sutra.")

Grant Edwards

On 2006-01-18, Fuzzyman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Bengt Richter wrote:
>> Typos happen to all of us, but in case you hadn't realized what "it's"
>> is a contraction for ("it is"), now you do, and you can save yourself further
>> embarrassment (assuming you care .
>> If your friends won't tell you, who will

> Making grammatical errors in the subject of a post on gramamtical
> errors must be embarrasing.

Not really. It's one of the basic laws of Usenet. All
complaints about grammar/spelling will contain grammar/spelling
mistakes. Nothing you can do about it.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! I want to mail
at a bronzed artichoke to

Please do not try this at home -- unless you just want to have some fun richard Computer Support 5 07-15-2010 06:33 PM
Microsoft .NET Security Warning - Never enter personal information orpasswords into a window unless you can verify and trust the source of therequest Gouri.Mahajan7@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 06-10-2008 12:41 PM
Unless unless Gábor SEBESTYÉN Ruby 3 06-17-2005 08:54 AM
Macro without string to substitute Casanova C Programming 6 11-24-2004 02:15 PM
Macro without string to substitute Casanova C Programming 1 11-21-2004 08:12 PM

Advertisments