Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > PDA Implementations

PDA Implementations

gregarican

I am in the process of creating an app that runs on various PDA
platforms. Currently I have it running on ARM Linux (Sharp Zaurus) and
am starting to port it over to ARM Windows Mobile (Dell Axim). Using
Python has made the task particularly easier and (dare I say it?) kind
of fun. What about porting it over to Palm OS (Palm Tungsten)? Is it
worth it in your collective opinion long-term?

Checking Python releases targeted for Palm OS I see most of these are a
little long in the tooth. For example Pippy uses Python v1.5 I believe.
All of the projects targeted for Palm OS are great and extend Python's
usefulness for sure. But what about their functionality on newer Palm
OS releases such as the Tungsten's? I am mainly looking for xmlrpc
calls being passed to an external server using wif-fi and using a
widget set. Figuring I am locked into Palm's own widget set. Is it
worth it to go to all of this trouble if Palm OS appears to be losing
market share and new Palm hardware devices are running Windows Mobile?

Mike Meyer

"gregarican" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I am in the process of creating an app that runs on various PDA
> platforms. Currently I have it running on ARM Linux (Sharp Zaurus) and
> am starting to port it over to ARM Windows Mobile (Dell Axim). Using
> Python has made the task particularly easier and (dare I say it?) kind
> of fun.

On an unrelated topic, you might take a look at Symbian
devices. They've released a version of Python 2.3 for it.

<mike

gregarican

Mike Meyer wrote:

> On an unrelated topic, you might take a look at Symbian
> devices. They've released a version of Python 2.3 for it.
>
> <mike

Thanks for the information. That might be worth checking out for sure.
My project might be slightly delayed. I'm 37 yo and am recovering from
chicken pox. Having this at this age is a little more severe it seems

Windows PDA applications or ASP.NET web PDA applications?? Anil ASP .Net Mobile 1 07-31-2004 08:38 AM
JAXB implementations Veerle Java 0 10-29-2003 02:16 PM
A List Implementation that satisfies the contract, yet breaks standard implementations! Ant... Java 6 10-28-2003 03:53 PM
JMF Codec implementations? Antti Nummiaho Java 2 10-07-2003 08:38 AM
RTSJ implementations EKL Java 3 08-08-2003 05:15 PM

Advertisments