Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Why does Rpy/R-plot work under PythonWin, but not under commandline/IDLE?

Why does Rpy/R-plot work under PythonWin, but not under commandline/IDLE?

Bo Peng

Dear list,

I am using rpy, a python module to control statistical package R from
python. Running the following commands

>>> from rpy import *
>>> r.plot(0)

will pass command 'plot' to R and run it. I notice that the R-plot will
not refresh (a window is created but the figure is not drawn) until the
next plot command is executed,
* when I use python (2.3, 2.4) command line or IDLE
* NOT when I use pythonwin ( provided with pywin32 package)

Since rpy+R works under python+pythonwin, I assume that this is not a
problem with rpy or R. Does anyone know why commandline/IDLE cause this
problem, while PythonWin does not? I am interested to know what I can do
in commandline (or in rpy) to fix this problem.

Regards,
Bo

Bo Peng

Bo Peng wrote:
> Does anyone know why commandline/IDLE cause this
> problem, while PythonWin does not? I am interested to know what I can do
> in commandline (or in rpy) to fix this problem.

Just note that R/plot works fine both from command window and a R-GUI.

Bo